Victory League Wrap - Round 8

Northern Rangers won their second consecutive 2014 derby and their fifth on the trot against rivals Launceston City in the Victory League, to lift the Launceston Mitsubishi and Launceston Mazda Derby Cup at NTCA.

Northern Rangers won their second consecutive 2014 derby and their fifth on the trot against rivals Launceston City in the Victory League, to lift the Launceston Mitsubishi and Launceston Mazda Derby Cup at NTCA.

After a tight opening 20 minutes, Northern Rangers wrestled the ascendancy and broke down Launceston City-s stubborn defence, led well by Captain Nathan Bartlett in central defence.

Englishman Shane Brassington was highly influential for the Rangers and created the first goal with a delightful cross into Yitay Towns from a corner, Towns headed in from close range to break the deadlock in the 32nd minute.

Skipper Todd Hingston bagged the Rangers second, finishing another crisp Brassington ball from a corner, nodding home in the 57th minute to make it 2-0.

Shane Brassington then shifted roles from assister to scorer, netting a sealer in the 65th minute for the home side, catching the City defence napping at the back to send home into an open goal.

Rangers Youngster Harry Thannhauser continued his impressive campaign and very nearly iced a strong Rangers outing, launching a long shot into the post late in the affair. But the 3-0 win saw the Rangers lift the inaugural Launceston Mitsubishi and Launceston Mazda Derby Cup, taking out the best of three series with a match to spare.

Olympia Warriors ended Kingborough-s winning streak at two, downing the Lions down at Lightwood Park.

Kingborough came into their meeting with the Warriors in red-hot form but it was Olympia that controlled the match, dictating play for the majority of the first half.

The Warriors had plenty of chances to open scoring early in the encounter. Striker Emmanuel Tsakiris squandered a golden opportunity in the 22nd minute, scuffing a shot wide, right of goal.

Kingborough youngster Roan Gillam showed his worth once more in goal, keeping the Lions in the contest with some great stops, including plucking a Lachlan Nichols header out of the top corner.

The hosts had a bright five-minute period in response, in which they piled the pressure onto ta new-look Warriors defence without Captain Alex Holmes.

Lions midfielder Jack Turner went close to clutching an opener with a header from a Billy Gaspiranatos set piece in the 37th minute.

The hosts then threatened again from another Gaspiranatos set piece from range, as Lions skipper Nick Cuthbertson nodded firmly wide of goal.

The Warriors then opened against the flow of play with a sublime finish into the bottom right from Nichols, punishing a blunder at the back from Gaspiranatos, who miscued his pass to Tom Young and Nichols made him pay with a sublime finish into the bottom right corner.

Warriors looked set to run away with a result, when Warren Wadawu made it 2-0 on the hour mark, firing in off the hands of Gillam with a powerful strike.

Lions gave life to a revival six minutes later, pegging one back with Turner finding Danny Cowen with a delightful curling ball for the form striker to nod home.

Warriors then killed off the fightback, with goals from Emmanuel Tsakiris, who finished from a misdirected Gillam punch and Englishman Alex Ralph, who nestled a drive into the bottom right, securing all three points for Olympia despite a late consolation goal for Kingborough from Young finishing another stellar Turner cross.

Devonport upset Tilford Zebras 2-0 at their fortress Valley Road, spoiling the Hobart side-s send-off of a favourite son to shoot themselves into equal fourth.

The Strikers went ahead through young gun Michael Holden in the seventh minute, cutting in on the left and roofing a shot into the top right past a helpless Matthew Ferguson.

The home side added their second shortly after the restart with Holden picking out Cory Vickers unmarked at the back post, the englishman made no mistake and headed home to extend the lead.

Tilford Zebras squandered opportunities, including first half chances with a shot from Alex Leszczynski, with the Zebras frontman hitting wide and a saved Jono Ladic drive at the near post.

Adam McKeown also had a golden opportunity saved when he hit a shot flat into the arms of Casey Eaves in the second half in the visitors pursuit of goals.

The three points spoiled Zebras- send-off for star midfielder Jono Ladic, who was playing his last game for the club.

The three points positions Devonport well for a shot at the top four with just goal difference separating the Stikers from fourth placed Tilford Zebras.

Victory League pacesetters South Hobart continued their winning ways with a three goal first half guiding them past cellar dwellers, Glenorchy.

South Hobart marked new signing Jayden Hey-s much hyped debut, with a victory over his former side.

Hey was substituted early into the second half with an injury concern but his new team took the points and marked his debut well with a 3-0 win.

The home side shot ahead through Darcy Hall in the fifth minute. Andy Brennan kept alive a long ball from Matt Lewis and negotiated a charging Alex Woodham to send in a cross from the by-line.

Paul Wilcock attempted to clear but the ball spilled to Hall, who buried into the bottom left.

Seven minutes later South Hobart added a second, Knights defender Wilcock stole the ball off the boot of Hall and curled the ball into the bottom left corner of his own goal to gift South their second.

South Hobart youngster Alex Walter made a fine Victory League debut in midfield and was involved in South's third.

The home side bagged the goal on the edge of half time, Walter found Andy Brennan with a long ball down the right, Brennan cut it back to Mann, who finished into the bottom left corner.

South Hobart didn-t add to their goal tally in the second half, Brennan missed a golden chance when found by Mann at back post but lofted over.

Mann also went close with a header but the ball bounced up into the bar and away to safety.

Glenorchy substitute Jayde Clay went closest for the Knights, heading firmly from a corner late in the match only for South keeper Kane Pierce to collect off his line.

Clay also was involved at the other end in the dying stages, keeping it at 3-0 with two timely challenges to stop South Hobart shots at the other end.

South Hobart continued their winning form and returned their advantage to five points at the top of the table.