Victory League Wrap - Round 5

Former Melbourne Victory star Danny Allsopp netted a hat-trick in Launceston City's massive upset victory over Tilford Zebras.

Former Socceroo and A-League golden boot winner Danny Allsopp inspired Launceston City to their maiden Victory League win with a hattrick against Tilford Zebras in his one-off marquee appearance at Mitsubishi Park.

The former Manchester City player sparked the biggest upset in the history of the Victory League, scoring the first two goals to see Launceston City climb over their more fancied opponents.

The first goal came in the 11th minute when the star striker-s shot was deflected in off Zebras- defender Andy Clark, the home side-s second came minutes later when Allsopp tapped in unmarked at back post to set up City for a fairytale Round 5 result.

Zebras struck back through Adam McKeown in the 28th minute but when Allsopp rounded out a hat trick in the 65th minute, a City victory was on the horizon.

Rising star Toby Omenihu then finished a thunderbolt in the 70th minute to put Launceston City into an almost uncatchable position late in the second half.

Zebras found a consolation goal in the dying moments through Alex Leszczynski from the spot but the day well and truly belonged to Launceston City as they secured their first win since the Victory League-s inception.

Olympia and Glenorchy kicked off the round earlier with a cracking Anzac Day match.

Glenorchy slumped to their fifth straight loss with Olympia lifting the inaguaral RSL Anzac Cup with a 2-0 win over the Knights.

Olympia took little time to open the scoring with Emmanuel Tsakiris nodding home an Alex Ralph cross back from the left into the top left corner inside 43 seconds.

In the 22nd minute, co-skipper Jayden Hey saved Knights from conceding a second with a desperate goal line clearance, when Warren Wadawu chipped an approaching Woodham from the right.

Ben Phillips eventually added a second for the Warriors in the 37th minute, Woodham did well to save a Wadawu strike from the left but the parry fell to Phillips, who finished.

Shae Hickey battled hard in midfield for the Knights and nearly pegged one back with a screaming shot from range finding the cross bar.

Olympia fullback Jono Griffiths then cannoned the cross bar with a 30 metre effort just prior to the half time interval.

The Warriors had the run of play in the second half and could have added to their tally.

Shortly after the restart, Griffiths sent in to Wadawu from the left only for Wadawu to slice his shot at backpost.

In the 57th minute Alex Ralph sent through a delightful ball ahead of Emmanuel Tsakiris but the chance was squandered with Tsakiris stumbling as he shot.

The score could have blown out but the Warriors left with a 2-0 victory over Glenorchy and English midfielder Alex Ralph collected the Anzac medal for best player in the Warriors- win.

South Hobart kept their strong winning record over the Strikers in the Victory League with a 4-0 win over Devonport in terrible conditions at Darcy Street, South Hobart.

South Hobart dominated possession and pressed hard at Devonport but were made to wait for their opener with Andy Brennan burying a shot off the hands of Casey Eaves in the 33rd minute.

Devonport played on the counter for much of the match and had a chance to snatch a lead prior to Brennan-s goal when Mitchell Blake was sent through by Callum Moore with a long ball but Blake-s drive was tipped wide by South Hobart gloveman, Kane Pierce.

Devonport-s strong defence and the outstanding glove work of Casey Eaves kept them in the contest, they had a golden opportunity to equalize but Blake over struck from Michael Holden-s cross from the left.

The Strikers denied South Hobart a second until the 82nd minute, when former son Brayden Mann slotted spectacularly with some slick footwork to wrong foot his defender before firing home into the left corner.

Mann-s goal opened the flood gates at Darcy Street, substitute Ben Hamlett made a big impact from the bench, finishing two goals in two minutes to ensure a comfortable home victory and return the 2013 Champions to the top of the table.

Northern Rangers bounced back in the last match of the round with a thumping 7-1 win over Kingborough Lions.

The Rangers shot ahead early with two goals inside ten minutes, coming from Nick Lanau-atkinson and Adam Edwards.

Edwards was then instrumental in the home side-s third, his countryman Shane Brassington thread through to him and with Edwards scrambling after it the Lions defence helped it into their own net to make it 3-0 after 21 minutes.

In the 29th minute Edwards bagged a brace, finishing a spilled ball from Lion-s young keeper Roan Gillam to make it a 4-0 half time lead.

Lions pegged one back early in the second half to breathe some life into a fightback. Seungyong Jin pounced on a loose ball after some confusion in the air at the back between Rangers keeper Marshall Pooley and Nick Lanau-atkinson meant the ball was free for Jin to send home the Lions solitary in the 50th minute.

The scoring ended there for the Lions with the Rangers scoring next, to restore a four-goal deficit with Nick Lanau-atkinson redeeming his defensive blunder to finish one on one with Gillam in the 63rd minute.

Both sides had goals disallowed due to offside decisions before Rangers smashed home two late goals in added time through Shane Brassington and Aidan Rigby to record a big 7-1 win.



Glenorchy Knights 0 defeated by Olympia FC Warriors 2

(Emmanuel Tsakiris 1-, Ben Phillips 37-) (HT 0-2)

ANZAC DAY MEDALIST - Alex Ralph (Olympia FC Warriors)

Launceston City 4 (Danny Allsopp 11-, 18-, 65-, Toby Omenihu 70-) defeated Tilford Zebras 2 (Adam McKeown 28-, Alex Leszczynski 88- PEN.) (HT 2-1)

South Hobart 4 (Andy Brennan 33-, Brayden Mann 82-, Ben Hamlett 85-, 87-) defeated Devonport Strikers 0 (HT 1-0)

Northern Rangers 7 (Nick Lanau-atkinson x 2, Adam Edwards x 2, OWN GOAL, Aidan Rigby, Shane Brassington) defeated Kingborough Lions 1 (Seungyong Jin) (HT 4-0)

Image Courtesy: Launceston City FC