South Hobart sparkle to book home final

South Hobart will play Sydney United 58 FC National Premier Leagues final after a dominant 3-1 victory over South Australia's Campbelltown City today.

South Hobart assured themselves a spot in the National Premier Leagues (NPL) Grand Final with a dominant Semi-Final victory over South Australia-s Campbelltown City.

South Hobart have conquered all Tasmanian football has had on offer, claiming the double this season, with the Victory League and the Victory Cup and could add a historic NPL Finals series to that list after qualifying for the Final.

The Tasmanian champions started brightly in their Semi-Final showdown, and it was midfield where they gained the upper hand, with Caleb Ludlow and Shae Hickey asserting themselves on the contest.

They capitalised on the better of the early play in the 24th minute with winger Jordan Templin poking home from close range. A short corner was taken from Chris Hunt to Shae Hickey, with Hickey then whipping in a delightful ball to back post, where central defender Lucas Hill nodded back into the danger area for the nippy winger to tap in.

Templin nearly doubled his efforts moments later when he got on the end of a cross sent in from Kostas Kanakaris, but the well struck head fell safely.

Campbelltown City first threatened from a set piece in the 28th minute. Todd McSorley hammered a firm shot at goal but the home keeper Matthew Ferguson was able to see it away with a diving double fist.

In the 32nd minute, South Hobart livewire Kanakaris forced a pearler save from experienced gloveman Les Pogliacomi. Kanakaris cut inside McSorley and sent a bullet at the top right corner only for Pogliacomi to pick it out with a lunging fist.

Just moments later, Campbelltown City went agonisingly close to clutching an equaliser. The dangerous Calvin Mbarga weaved his way into the box and had Ferguson beaten in goal, unfortunately for the forward his shot was cleared off the line by attacking midfielder Nick Morton.

South Hobart had several late chances inside the first half to extend their advantage but went into the break with just one goal to show for their dominance.

Kanakaris continued to loom large as a difficult player for the away side to contain as South Hobart continued to dictate terms in the second half.

Campbelltown City made their changes early with Matricciani, Marafioti and Piscioneri all injected in an effort to chase a grand final berth.

In the 80th minute, Kanakaris made a run down the left and waited on his cross, finding Chris Hunt on the penalty spot, where the hard working winger finished into the bottom right to all-but assure the Tasmanians of victory.

In an excellent game from young gun Nick Morton, it was he who extended the lead, substitute Harrison Thomas threaded through for Morton to fake and finish past a helpless Pogliacomi.

In the 91st minute, with Campbelltown City-s first shot for the second half, Oliver Totani secured a consolation goal for the visitors, only to be shown red moments later when the attacker was given a second yellow and given his marching orders with mere seconds to tick on the clock.

The emphatic 3-1 victory not only assures South Hobart a spot in the inaugural NPL Final but gives South Hobart the hosting duties of the inaugural National Premier Leagues Grand Final.

FT: South Hobart 3 (Templin 24', Hunt 79', Morton 86') def. Campbelltown City 1 (Totani 88'). HT: 1-0