South Hobart clinch back to back Victory League titles

South Hobart are officially 2014 Victory League Champions, defeating Devonport Strikers 6-2 to give them an unassailable lead at the top of the table.

Andy Brennan was the star of the show in the title clinching victory, putting home a brace and assisting another in the historic home win.

The champions were challenged by the northwest giants Devonport but flexed their muscle when required to see them lift the Victory League shield for the second time.

South Hobart struck early with Nick Morton punishing an error from Devonport keeper Casey Eaves in the fifth minute, Eaves misdirected a clearance and found Morton, who clinically nestled a shot into the bottom left.

Devonport came down the highway looking to spoil the part and looked a chance to when they pegged it back to 1-1 in the 14th minute. South Hobart keeper Kane Pierce had a match to forget, coughing it up to Strikers youngster Beau Blizzard who was able to tap in to a vacant net to restore parity.

Connor Kass shot South Hobart back into the lead just four minutes later with one of the goals of the season, Andy Brennan launched the attack with a blistering run, burning off Strikers skipper Kieran Mulraney down the left before cutting back a well weighted cross for Kass to volley in spectacularly past Eaves.

Brennan was involved again as South Hobart shot ahead 3-1, on the brink of half time Brennan received the ball from his partner in crime Brayden Mann and bolted into the box to fire firmly into the bottom right out of the reach of Eaves.

Devonport continued to fight but the result was put all but beyond doubt when Brennan put home his second, a well worked one-two between Mann and Brennan ended with Brennan, finishing nicely into the bottom left from the return ball.

The Strikers got reward for effort with a goal in the 64th minute, Miles Barnard dashed from defence and found Brody Denehey who mis-hit a strike from 20 yards that beat a wrong-footed Pierce and trickled into the bottom right. 

South Hobart spearhead Brayden Mann then rounded out the game with two goals from the penalty spot to see South Hobart home 6-2.

The Round 19 victory sees the 2014 Champions claim their second consecutive Victory League title and a Tasmanian record seventh straight title across competitions.


The round kicked off on Friday night with an undermanned Glenorchy Knights holding third placed Olympia to a 1-1 draw.

The Knight were without four of their best, with Skipper Shae Hickey, fullback Nick Di Falco, young centre-back Tyler Harrison and experienced defender Jade Clay all missing for the encounter.

After a goalless opening half, Glenorchy Knights took an unlikely lead with central defender Sam Johnson rising up from the front post to nod home a Phin Aldridge cross from a corner.

Just six minutes later Olympia equalized in very similar fashion with their Captain Alex Holmes heading in a corner.

Glenorchy had the better of the play throughout and were coming hard for a winner at the end. Stand-in Captain Sam Johnson went close with another set piece header, while Callen Griffen and Aaron Wilson also had chances but Dmitri Nester held strong in goal to see the teams share points. 


Northern Rangers edged out Kingborough Lions 2-1, holding on at home against a desperate Kingborough.

The Rangers struck half way through the opening half with Nick Lanau-atkinson chipping Kingborough Lions keeper Andrew Duncan.

After taking a 1-0 lead into half time, Shane Brassington wasted little time to add another for the Rangers, striking straight from the kickoff. Yitay Towns crossed in and the Englishman struck home nicely.

Rangers continued to create but the Lions sat back and defended hard to keep them at bay.

With half an hour to tick, Lewis Verdouw pulled one back for the visitors to give them some hope but the Rangers held on to win 2-1.


Tilford Zebras struck home two early to win 2-0 over sister club Launceston City.

Tilford Zebras spearhead Alex Leszczynski hit the Zebras first from the spot before Ethan Engels continued his rich vein of goal scoring form with a goal to make it 2-0 at half time.

City continued their improvement, defending well to hold off the Zebras and avoid conceding further goals.

Dom Rossi soured a fighting performance for City, he was sent off and will miss their key clash versus Glenorchy Knights next week


Click here for the full details from all of the final round matches.

Image courtesy of Football Federation Tasmania.