Round 9 NPL Queensland Wrap

In a big weekend of Queensland Football a number of future A-league stars turned on the style in another exciting round.

In a big weekend of Queensland Football a number of future A-league stars turned on the style in an exciting round nine of the National Premier Leagues, Queensland.

The round started with the Brisbane Roar NYL proving it is part of the club-s DNA with an impressive 4-2 win over Brisbane City away.

Cameron Tew opened proceedings, putting the visitors on the back foot in the 17th minute with a crisp finish.

Roar were spurred into action bringing about a response through Lachlan Jackson heading in from the back post six minutes later.

The youth side controlled the remainder of the half, getting the reward in stoppage time, when Shannon Brady-s close range attempt found the back of the net.

Misery was doubled moments later when a benign free kick into the box caught a deflection from City defender Luca Perico, sending Brisbane Roar NYL into the break 3-1 up.

City-s woes continued into the second half when defender Luca Janesse was given his marching orders for a second yellow.

Roar capitalised on the numerical advantage immediately through Jai Ingham who latched onto a Jaden Walker cross in the 74th minute.

Consolation came to City in the way of a Jeremy Lynch long range effort in the 78th minute The defeat sees City slip further down the ladder to fourth while Roar goes to seventh.

The trek across the range to Toowoomba saw Harimau Muda ‘A- score a five-nil victory over the struggling SWQ Thunder on Saturday.

Malaysia-s finest under 23-s showed they had come to play, piling on four goals within the first 30 minutes.

Ghazzi scored his first of two in the ninth minute of play off a quality through ball.

Devandran drove the ball from long range in the 24th minute to double the lead.

Mat Wasir proved his class by scoring a brace in three minutes soon after to take them into halftime four ahead.

The second half saw SWQ show some flashes of what they are capable of, yet where still unable to breach the defences.

Ghazzi secured his brace in the 61st minute to put the game beyond doubt, and prevent SWQ again from attaining their first points for the season.

Olympic hosted the first-placed Redlands in an enthralling two-one victory to the home side.

In a tight affair where table movement was definite, both teams started cautiously.

The first half saw a number of chances presented to both sides yet neither could take their-s, halftime arrived all square.

The game opened up in the second half when in the 69th minute, the deadlock was broken.

Tim Smits opened Olympics account skilfully volleying a Danny Byrne cross impressively into the net.

Smiths proved that when it rains, it pours, doubling the advantage two minutes later.

After some scrappy play inside Redlands- box Smits managed to find the space to knock it home.

Redlands managed to conjure a late reply through Graham Fyfe at the death but it was all too late.

Olympic leap up the table to third, while Redlands relinquish their lead, dropping back to second.

Palm Beach Sharks Mauled Western Pride six-nil in Ipswich on Saturday night.

Four goals to Chris Lucas in the first half helped Palm Beach to re-secure top spot on the league ladder.

Lucas had secured his hat-trick just past the half hour mark, before managing to hit the back of the net again in stoppage time.

Sharks continued the onslaught through Nik Mircovic, who tidied up the crumbs in the 73rd minute.

Julian Matthews volley home the sixth on the stroke of full time to round out a league leading display.

Pride are still second last on the table saved only by SWQ Thunder.

Alex Smith showed his A-league experience when FNQ Heat hosted Brisbane Strikers in a dominate home side display at Endeavour Park.

Smith netted all goals in FNQ-s impressive three-nil victory which extends Heat-s unbeaten streak to four.

In a ten minute scoring spree Smith bagged his second hat-trick in a row.

The former Wellington player netted his first in the 73rd minute, where he finished off a midfield move that he started.

Six minutes later Smith struck from the set piece, Strikers keeper David Chambers managed to get a glove to it, but to no avail.

Smith-s third came minutes later, where a loose ball on the edge of the box was driven low. The loss leaves Strikers in sixth place, while FNQ heat are back in ninth, with a game in hand.

Moreton Bay have become the first team this season to take all the points at Northern Fury-s home ground in Townsville.

Moreton Bay sealed the two-one victory and the points in the 83rd minute through Royce Brownlie-s wonder strike, taking the leading goal scorers tally to 14 this season.

The home side came flying out of the blocks, building early pressure which lead to Jani Peut-s opening goal six minutes into the match.

Jets took just five minutes to reply through Charles Mendy.

Deadlock ensued for the remainder of the match, with a number of chances for both teams wasted, until Brownlie stuck.

The goal of the year contender has bumped Moreton Bay up within striking distance of the top.

Sunshine Coast Fire enjoyed the bye ahead of their clash with Olympic at home. Round 10 also sees Northern Fury travel down to Redlands while Western Pride hosts Brisbane Strikers.

Image courtesy of Keith Eigeland