Rangers make it three straight against northern rivals

Northern Rangers continued their dominance in the northern derby, grinding out a 2-0 win to make it a clean sweep in the Launceston Mitsubishi and Launceston Mazda Derby Cup for 2014.

Northern Rangers midfielder Aidan Rigby collected the John McKenna medal for the best player across the best of three northern derby cup series.

It was a much-improved performance from bottom placed Launceston City, with the underdogs threatening inside the first half an hour through Gukhyeon Kim and Mark Cristy.

Rangers clawed on top and went close to openingthe scoring but neither side could find the back of the net in the first half, with both teams going into the break locked at 0-0.

Northern Rangers broke the deadlock in the 71st minute, with Yitay Towns earning the Rangers a penalty after being brought down inside the box. Rangers spearhead Shane Brassington stepped up and converted the spot-kick to make it a hard fought 1-0.

In the dying stages of the match, Rigby doubled the lead for the Rangers, finishing off a loose ball to secure the Rangers all three points.

Rigby’s goal was part of a strong performance throughout all three meetings with Launceston City, seeing the Rangers midfielder collect the John McKenna medal for best player in the Launceston Mitsubishi and Launceston Mazda Derby Cup.


South Hobart continued on winning ways, smashing five past Glenorchy Knights to record their 13th win for the season.

It took little time for the ladder leaders to stamp their dominance, putting a goal past the Knights inside 30 seconds of the opening whistle.

South Hobart forward Ben Hamlett darted down the right and cut back a cross looking for Brayden Mann, Mann helped it along to Andy Brennan, who fired home into the bottom left to make it 1-0.

In the 8th minute, it appeared Mann had clinched a second, when following up a Brennan shot to tap in at back post, but unfortunately for the visitors the linesman’s flag saved the Knights from falling 2-0 behind inside 8 minutes. In the 19th minute Mann again proved a major threat, striking wide to the left with a powerful volley.

South Hobart broke through with their second in the 30th minute, a long ball into the box saw Knights gloveman Alex Woodham charge out and punch clear but in the process, the youngster collected Mann in the air, seeing referee Craig Phillips point to the spot and award a penalty to the visitors. Skipper Hugh Ludford stood up and fired low into the bottom right off the hands of Woodham, who dove hard to his left to meet it but couldn’t deviate from goal.

Late in the second half, Brennan went close to shooting in a second but the close range effort was thwarted by a goal line clearance from Sam Johnson. South Hobart wasted little time to add to their ledger with a long Ludford ball picking out Mann inside the box, Mann did well to rise and head it into the bottom left in the 49th minute to make it 3-0.

On the hour mark, substitute Connor Kass made an immediate impact, striking in a thunderbolt into the bottom left from the edge of the box with his first touch of the match. Mann secured a brace in the 92nd minute, hammering home a free kick into the bottom left from 18 yards to seal a strong win for the league leaders.


Tilford Zebras made it seven consecutive victories with a win over Devonport, confirming themselves as the major threat to South Hobart in the Victory League.

South Hobart are in the box seat to go back to back but the Zebras have raced into contention with seven straight wins, setting up next week’s meeting as a title decider.

Zebras overcame a determined Devonport this week in a tight first half, edging away 2-0 at the break, with both goals coming from forward Alex Leszczynski. 

Devonport had the better of the play in a fiery first half where cards were delivered both ways, but the Strikers failed to capitalise and Leszczynski punished them at the other end. The powerful frontman opened the account with a delicate header that just crossed the line after striking the cross bar in the 27th minute.  He doubled up in the dying stages of the first half, finishing a second from the penalty spot after the hosts were awarded a penalty in unusual circumstances due to a shirt tug in the box.

The second half saw the Zebras lift the tempo and create more chances as they took down Devonport, but it was from the penalty spot again where they added a third. With Devonport defender Cory Vickers bringing down Adam McKeown to see Alex Leszczynski finish a hat trick off from the penalty spot.

On the hour mark, Dwayne Walsh sent in a memorable sealer, making it a comfortable 4-0 lead with a sizzling finish, striking a thunderbolt left foot volley across his body into the top right corner for a definite contender for goal of the season.

The win extends the Zebras hot streak to seven straight wins and continues their stay in second spot ahead of a showdown with South Hobart next Sunday.


Olympia FC Warriors blew away Kingborough 5-0 at Warrior Park.

The Warriors continued their dominance at home, blitzing the Lions with a four goal first half flurry, including three goals inside the opening six minutes.

Eduardo Cabello was the orchestrator, with a hand in all four first half goals, as the Warriors controlled the encounter. The first was struck from the Mexican’s boot, opening the scoring with a long range set piece bundled into goal by Lions youngster Roan Gillam.

Captain Alex Holmes hit the second in the fifth minute, tapping home after Warren Wadawu steered the ball to him from a Cabello corner.

Swiftly the Warriors made it 3-0, with Wadawu nodding in a Cabello corner a minute later. Holmes again proved a goal threat later in the half, with the tall centre back tapping home from another dangerous Cabello corner.

Emmanuel Tsakiris finished off the dominant Warriors outing in the second half, finishing off a penalty after being chopped down in the box in the 68th minute.


Click here for all of the results from the weekend.