PS4 NPL Victoria Round 4 Review

On what was an action packed Friday night it was Port Melbourne who were held to a draw at home against the Melbourne Knights who had to play an hour of the match with ten men.

Avondale FC 1 (Sanders 47') Bentleigh Greens Soccer Club 3 (Packowski 6' Ruthven 35' 76') | U20: 0-3
Watch: Goals via Avondale FC channel -
Watch: Troy Ruthven interview -

The first feature match of the Round 4 NPL season took place at Knights Stadium as Avondale Heights hosted the in form Bentleigh Greens on Friday night.

With both sides at opposite ends of the table, there was much to play for on a clear night in Sunshine as the hosts looked for their first win of the season against an undefeated Bentleigh side seeking to recover from their draw against Hume last weekend.


Port Melbourne "Sharks" Soccer Club 1 (Stirton pen 70') Melbourne Knights FC 1 (Colosimo pen 45+1') | U20: 2-1
Watch: Fraser Chalmers penalty save -
Pics: Rob Cruse gallery -
Pics: Steve Starek gallery -
Read: Melbourne Knights report -

In a fixture full of controversy it was Port who had the golden chance to go ahead from the spot in the 30th minute following a foul and subsequent sending off of Knights skipper Milan Batur in the box but Alan Kearney was denied by Fraser Chalmers to keep the scores at 0-0.

Knights then went ahead from the spot themselves right on half time as Jacob Colosimo stepped up to slot home past Stjepan Gal to make it 1-0.

Port would eventually get their equaliser though as yet another penalty allowed David Stirton to put away his first goal for the club, levelling the scores at 1-1.


Richmond SC 1953 3 (Armenian 20' 86' Barker-Daish pen 55') Melbourne Victory 6 (Howard 6' Katebian 8' 90' Pasquali 37' 45' 74') | U20: 3-3
Pics: Mark Avellino Photography gallery -
Read: MFootball report -
Read: Melbourne Victory report -

Defending wasn't on the agenda at Kevin Bartlett Reserve on Friday night as Richmond went down to the Melbourne Victory in a nine goal thriller.

A hat-trick for 16 year old NPL debutant Seb Pasquali was one of the major highlights for the visitors who found themselves 2-0 up inside the first ten minutes.

Richmond got a goal back in the 20th minute through Hamlet Armenian but Pasquali’s first two goals had the Victory looking comfortable at 4-1 going into the break.

Jake Barker-Daish then got his side back into the contest again with a penalty in the 55th minute but Pasquali’s third and Joey Katebian's second were enough to secure a 6-3 Victory despite Armenian completing his double late.


Oakleigh Cannons FC 2 (Frame 26' Hameed 89') Hume City F.C. 1 (Danning 53') | U20: 0-4
Watch: NMS Media highlights -
Watch: Hume Ctiy highlights -
Pics: Smile For Peter gallery -
Pics: Bulent Yontem gallery -
Read: MFootball report -

In the final match of a blockbuster Friday night it was Oakleigh who came away with the upset of the round, defeating Hume City 2-1 at Jack Edwards Reserve.

Visa player Ross Frame opened the scoring for the hosts in the 25th minute before a fantastic finish from former Cannon Kofi Danning leveled the scores just before the hour mark.

Hume full back Shaun Timmins was then shown a red card for a second bookable offence in the 80th minute and Oakleigh made the most of it with former South Springvale front man Ali Hameed striking home in stoppage time to secure a vital three points for the hosts.


Northcote City FC 0 Pascoe Vale FC 0 | U20: 3-2
Pics: Daniel Hassett gallery for MFootball -
Listen: Pascoe Vale wrap -
Read: MFootball report -
Read: Northcote City report -

Northcote City earned its first point of the campaign by holding Pascoe Vale at bay.

A game of limited chances had each team's respective strikers, Todd Dekker of Northcote and Davey van't Schip of Pascoe Vale, charged with the responsibility of trying to break the deadlock.

But neither team could provide the magic to separate the sides.


Green Gully S.C 0 Heidelberg United FC 0 | U20: 2-1
Watch: Green Gully highlights -
Read: Green Gully report -

Finishing was off at Green Gully reserve as both sides failed to adequately test the goalkeepers in a trying scoreless draw.

Evan Christodoulou slipped the Heidelberg defence in the first half only to hit the post with his left-footed volley, while Heidelberg's earnest shouts for a penalty were not heeded late in the half.

Kenny Athiu had the best chance to win the game in the second half but his scuffed shot from the left side of the area was batted away by Gully goalkeeper Rani Dowisha.


FC Bulleen Lions 2 (Nour 10' Nishmoto 20') South Melbourne FC 2 (Theodore 84' Lujic 88') | U20: 3-4

The Bulleen Lions and South Melbourne have played out an enthralling 2-2 draw at David Barro Stadium on Monday Night in front of a crowd of over 2,500 people.

The home side were in dreamland taking a 2-0 lead into the break thanks to goals from Sami Nour and Takanori Nishimoto only to be pegged back late on by strikes from Matthew Theodore and Milos Lujic.

Dominic Barba’s men brought the game to life in the 10th minute when a searching cross from former South forward Gianni de Nittis found Nour at the back who coolly slotted home to give the visitors an early lead.


CLICK HERE for the details and links to all of the weekend's matches.