PS4 NPL Victoria Review: Round 11

Bentleigh Greens have stretched their unbeaten start to the season to ten games after a commanding 2-0 away victory over Avondale at Doyle Street Reserve in Round 11 of PlayStation 4 NPL Victoria.

May the difference as Knights hold on for point against Hume

Hume City and Melbourne Knights have played out a draw at ABD Stadium on Saturday night, after the hosts failed to make the most of their opportunities.

An incredible second half performance from Knights keeper Chris May proved to be the difference, with the custodian keeping Hume at bay and earning his side a point.

Melbourne Knights started the brighter of the two threatening earlier on with some neat interplay between James McGarry and Marijan Cvitkovic. But the attack broke down after some savvy defending from the Hume back four.

Hume looked dangerous on the counter as the half progressed.

Click here for the full match report.


Bentleigh's commanding win over Avondale leaps the side into third place

An early Matt Thurtell strike and a late tap in from Chris Lucas ensured the Greens all three points in sunny conditions as the two Queenslanders proved to be the difference between the two sides on the day.

The Greens began the contest on the front foot and went close on two separate occasions as Troy Ruthven and Wayne Wallace had their efforts go just wide from a corner.

Up the other end, Avondale had their first sight on goal in the 10th minute when Burakhan Koca found himself through on goal and forced Bentleigh goalkeeper Alastair Bray into making a smart save.

Click here for the full match report.


Two goals in two minutes enough for Northcote as it defeats winless Werribee

Northcote has secured three points at John Cain Memorial Reserve on Saturday afternoon, defeating Werribee 2-0 in a tense encounter that hung in the balance with two second half goals.

It all came down to an incredible sixty seconds of play, where Northcote converted twice in a minute, putting it in a prime position for the final twenty minutes. which held them in good stead for the remainder of the match

The majority of the first half was very much an arm wrestle between the two sides which was devoid of any real goal mouth action.

The only real chance on goal in the first half came after a lovely James Kalafitidis cross landed in the path of Jason Hayne's darting run at the back post.

Click here for the full match report.


No goals as bottom North Geelong keeps Heidelberg at bay

North Geelong kept its first clean sheet of the season and, in the process, held league leaders Heidelberg United to a 0-0 draw in a dramatic, action packed encounter at Elcho Park on Saturday afternoon.

It was a clash that had it all, goal scoring chances, free flowing football, seven yellow cards (six to the Bergers), two send-offs and non-stop action that made mockery of the home side’s bottom of the ladder placing.

With the pitch bathed in glorious autumn sunshine, North immediately signalled its intent to take the game to the top side, dominating possession and creating more of the attacking chances in the opening half.

The Warriors had the best scoring chance of the game in the 29th minute when the best on ground, up till then, Reardo Luka managing to round 'keeper Griffin McMaster only to see his shot skew over the crossbar.

Click here for the full match report.


Lazarides double sinks Gully as Paco take late iwn

A man of the match performance from Mathew Lazarides has helped Pascoe Vale to a resounding 2-1 victory over Green Gully at CB Smith Reserve on Friday night.

Lazarides struck in the opening period before Matthew Breeze leveled for Gully with only 10 minuets remaining.

But Lazarides was the star of the show, the winner coming with 7 minutes remaining as he cut in from out wide and slotted the ball past Rani Dowisha.

Click here for the full match report.


Cannons outgun Thunder on Papas homecoming

Arthur Papas made a triumphant return to Jack Edwards Reserve as his Cannons outgunned Dandenong Thunder 4-2 on Friday night. Dean Piemonte and Goran Zoric delivered a second-half, seven-minute triple salvo to bag all three points.

In a beautiful evening weather, the hosts kicked off proceedings in the best possible manner when Dom D'Angelo's deflected effort from distance left Zaim Zeneli wrong-footed and bounced into the back of the net. 

Spirits in the Cannons camp were high, as a much more intense pressing structure and sharper transition prevented Dandenong from running riot as they did over Northcote 6-1 last week. 

Stars of that show were Jarod Blackbourn and Yusuf Ahmed, and the two talented teenagers looked full of confidence. 

Click here for the full match report.


South salvages draw to remain undefeated at Port

Port Melbourne and South Melbourne have played out a thrilling 2-2 draw JL Murphy Reserve on Friday night, with every goal coming from a set-piece.

Shaun Kelly and Alan Kearney’s efforts for Port were sandwiched in between Luke Adams’ opener and Brad Norton’s controversial late equaliser, with an alleged handball from Milos Lujic in the build-up going undetected by referee Shaun Evans.

South looked dangerous right from kick-off, when Lujic took a few clever touches and teed up Barker-Daish for a blocked shot.

It took just 17 minutes for the visitors to capitalise on their early ascendency, with Dane Milovanovic driving in a set-piece from nearly half-way which Adams beat Stjepan Gal to, nodding home into an empty net.

Click here for the full match report.