PS4 NPL Tasmania Round 20 Review

A thumping Paul Bremner header 15 minutes from full time secured a 2-1 victory for Clarence over the Devonport Strikers.

Bremner fires Clarence to victory

After setting up the opening goal with a deft lobbed pass to Naden, Bremner proved the match winner, responding to Dom Smith’s headed equaliser to give Clarence a first win over top four opposition since their return to the top tier.

It was an extremely dour opening to the game with neither side even looking like creating a chance for a good 15 minutes before Jeremy Price tried his luck from range with a bomb from down town that was of no trouble to Pearce.

With Stuart struggling to stay on side, an issue that would plague Clarence attackers throughout the game and both sides restricted to shy’s from range through the opening 30 minutes from open play, it was no surprise that set pieces presented the first real clear cut chance of the game.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Olympia halt City’s resurgence

Launceston City welcomed the travelling Olympia Warriors up to Buckby Land Rover Park on Saturday evening as they looked to continue on their recent string of wins. It wasn’t to be however as the Warriors ran rampant in a dominant first half display that eventuated in a 2-0 win for the boys from Warrior Park that sealed a second placed finish.

An Olympia side missing Sklenar and Mearns through injury and Lucas Hill for an accumulation of yellow cards kicked into gear after 10 minutes as the Bellini, Cartwright and Leaman show was on display.

For large parts of the second half City didn’t have any answers on how to deal with Cartwright who was playing the sole striker up front, Bellini playing left wing and Leaman overlapping from left full back.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Zebras end South streak with 2-2 draw

Hobart Zebras brought South Hobart’s 13 game winning streak to an end as they claimed a 2-2 draw in a scrappy affar at Darcy Street.

After Luke Huigsloot’s volley from outside the box had opened the scoring against the run of play, Jack Turner quickly restored parity for South tapping home an Adam Gorrie cross. Matthew Pace then gave Zebras back the lead with the final touch before half time but despite fighting hard and making themselves hard to break down, South would eventually equalise again, this time though Alex Walter.

As tempers flared towards the end of the contest, no side would find a winner and both would have to settle for a 2-2 draw.

South had a strangle hold on the early moments of the game and were linking up well around the box, drawing the Zebras defenders out and causing problems and Nick Morton came within a whisker of opening the scoring when he smashed his effort into the post.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.