PS4 NPL Tasmania Round 2 Review

A hat-trick from Matthew Sanders including a superb chipped effort from 35 yards has fired Hobart Zebras to a commanding 5-0 victory over Clarence in Round 2 of PlayStation 4 NPL Tasmania.

Scintillating Sanders fires Zebras to comfortable victory

New centre back Nicholas Groenewold also helped himself to a brace as the Zebras set piece prowess came to fruition in a dominant display.

It was Sanders who stole the show however, his spectacular third was the highlight of the night in an otherwise physically bruising game with two sides battling hard before the Zebras class ultimately won out.

After a furiously paced opening 20 minutes with both sides looking to get the ball forward quickly it was Nicholas Groenewold who opened the scoring with a thumping header. Downes curled in a pinpoint free kick and the centre back smashed it in off the bottom side of the cross bar.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.

Late rally fires Warriors past Lions

Olympia FC Warriors came from behind to win on Ian Shaw’s return to the Den, as they beat the Kingborough Lions 5-1. Entering the last 20 minutes of normal play, the Warriors were down 1-0 and the Warriors hierarchy would have been feeling decidedly irritated at that point, with the prospects of a similar start to last season looming.

Twenty minutes later they would have been much happier after the Warriors found their mojo and excited their fans with some scintillating play that the game had been devoid of up to that point.

The first half was a dour affair. The Lions started the better of the two teams and Benny Kovadio caused numerous headaches for the Warriors early but his finishing left a lot to be desired. He changed his boots at halftime perhaps to arrest the slump in front of goals.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Strikers cruise to victory over City

Devonport welcomed Launceston City to Valley Road on Saturday afternoon hoping to get their first win of the season and they did just that, winning 3-1 in convincing fashion.

The inclusion of Brayden Mann for his first start of the year was a welcome addition to Gallo’s Devonport side but they had to go about their business without their star recruit, Michael Holden.

From the first whistle Devonport really stamped their physical presence on the game, not allowing City to get comfortable on the ball whatsoever and giving away a few fouls in the process much to the chagrin of the Devonport faithful.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


South too fit for plucky Rangers

South Hobart ran out 5-0 winners over the Northern Rangers in a dominant second half showing. After a tight opening half, South’s superior fitness in the scorching March heat proved way too much for the Rangers to overcome. The goals poured in from the 50th minute onwards and the Rangers effort, though still strong, was not enough to prevent South Hobart from scoring at will towards the end of the game,

The last time the Northern Rangers came to Darcy Street, South wiped the floor with them completely. They dismantled them, winning 12-0. This time the Rangers came to earn the respect of the competition and in the first half, they would have. South had the better of the general play but the Rangers probably had – just – the better chances overall. They worked hard for one another, hassled and hustled in defence and shut down South’s attacking play. South tried to find opening but couldn’t find a way.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.