PS4 NPL Tasmania Round 19 Review

South Hobart overcame a plucky Clarence side, recovering from an early 1-0 deficit to win 3-1 in a game that Clarence could so easily have taken points from.

South Hobart fight back to beat Clarence

Despite South Hobart controlling possession and firing off a large number of shots, it was the Reds who had the best scoring chances of the game but were punished late on for not taking them, as South moved up into second place on the table.

Nick Naden opened the scoring with the first shot of the game, coming in just the second minute. Starting out on the right wing again, he capitalised on a rare error from Liam Quaile, who took a poor touch in the box, to rob him of the ball and curl a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Strikers edge closer to title with narrow win

The Devonport Strikers moved a step closer to claiming the 2016 NPL TAS title with a 1 – 0 victory over the Kingborough Lions to move 8 points clear on top. The game lacked intensity for many periods as both sides struggled to get the ball moving quickly. Nonetheless, Devonport will be satisfied with gaining the three points regardless of how it was achieved, and will now turn their focus to their FFA cup match on Wednesday night.

The win came as a cost however, with Nathan Gratton being stretchered off with a knee injury that will almost certainly rule him out of Wednesday’s massive cup clash with the Lambton Jaffas.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


City claim Derby Cup with comfortable 4-0 win

Launceston City ran out 4-0 winners against a nimble Northern Rangers team to clinch the local bragging rights and the Derby Cup in the third and final Launceston Derby for 2016.  City just shaded Rangers in the game but were more clinical in front of goal than their visitors.  Rangers had two golden chances to score but continued to follow their season’s trend of not putting the ball in to the back of the net.

A long ball to the wing from the kick-off signaled the home team’s intention and for the first few minutes it was all Launceston City. After five minutes, Aaron Campbell found the ball at the side of the Rangers’ box, drove closer to goal and unleashed a low, far-post bound shot which nested in the back of the net to put them 1-0 ahead.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Zebras hold off Warriors to keep slim title hopes alive

The Hobart JEEP Zebras kept their slim title hopes alive with a narrow 3-2 over their traditional rivals the Olympia Warriors. Having led 3-0, the Zebras seemingly switched off and the Warriors were unlucky not have taken something from the game after staging a strong fightback to dominate the second half.

The Zebras got the jump on them and took the lead just 12 minutes in as Adam Mckeown smashed a ball into the back of the net, beating Stalker at his near post having been set up by Huigsloot.

The towering front man was a constant menace and dominated in the air throughout the first half, winning everything that came his way and combining superbly with Mckeown. Hugh Undy meanwhile was dominating in the middle, creating chances and beating defenders.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.