PS4 NPL Queensland Round 7 Review

Brisbane Olympic's Matt Heath has streaked away as the PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland's leading goalscorer with a first half hat-trick in his side's 3-2 win over Brisbane City.

Heath stars in Olympic win

Heath's tally is up to 13, seven more than any other player, and his three goals set up Olympic's fifth win of the season at Goodwin Park.

Andy Coyne set up the first on 18 minutes and the lead was doubled five minutes later as Heath capitalised on loose defending.

City defender Motoki Kakehi dragged one back for the visitors in the shadows of half-time but Heath polished off his third hat-trick of the season from the penalty spot before the break.

Substitute Simon Biel scored City's second, setting up a grandstand finish with a tick over 20 minutes to play.

Heroics from Tom Carroll kept Olympic's lead intact with the keeper making a superb penalty save on 76 minutes. The stop proved crucial as the hosts held on for a victory that momentarily returns Olympic to the top of the ladder.

Olympic now play two more consecutive home games starting with a rescheduled game against Moreton Bay United on Thursday night before it's City's turn to play the Jets next weekend.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Kyle double moves Gold Coast top

Jarrod Kyle scored twice as Gold Coast City beat Northern Fury 2-0 at Townsville Sports Reserve on Saturday night.

Kyle doubled his season tally with a second-half double, after the two teams were unable to conjure a goal in the game's opening hour.

The win is City's fifth in six outings, with their only loss of the season coming way back in Round 1.

The Gold Coast outfit now move top, although Brisbane Olympic have a game in hand. 

The result sees Fury's winning streak snapped at three games, but the hosts had their chances and kept things close throughout.

City head to AJ Kelly Park to face Brisbane Roar Youth next weekend, while Fury will also be in the capital to play Brisbane Strikers. 

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Strikers too strong for Thunder

Brisbane Strikers have moved into the top three with a 3-0 win against SWQ Thunder at Perry Park on Saturday night.

Strikers were up 3-0 within half hour against the Thunder who were unable to find the net and record their sixth defeat from seven matches to start the season.

Michael Lee opened the scoring early on for the Strikers with a well-placed shot from the edge of the area.

Four minutes later and the hosts were in cruise control after some neat interpassing set up Gregory Chesire to double the lead.

Lee then turned provider for Jake McLean, beating three defenders before squaring the ball and setting up McLean for the game's third goal.

The scoreline could have become uglier in the second half if not for a string of first-class saves from Thunder keeper Anthony Passante who appeared determined to not be beaten again.

The Strikers will now play host to Northern Fury while the Thunder face high-flyers Olympic at Goodwin Park.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Pride rue missed opportunities

Two missed penalties have proven costly for Western Pride as they were held to a 1-1 draw by FNQ FC Heat on Saturday night.

Corey Lucas' early penalty was saved by Kevin Ward before his second half stoppage-time spot kick flew high over the bar.

The Pride had the better of the chances in the opening 45 minutes but neither side were able to break the deadlock.

It wasn't until after the hour mark that Charlie Beverley opened the scoring, putting the Heat in front after the Pride defence was unable to clear the ball.

Salomon Lukonga restored parity with a tick under 10 minutes to play and despite Lucas' last-gasp chance from the penalty spot, the two sides finished locked at 1-1.

The result does little to help either side who would have been helped immensely by three points.

Both sides are at home next weekend as Heat host Redlands United while Pride welcome Sunshine Coast FC.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Redlands grab point in stoppage time

A last-gasp Graham Fyfe equaliser for Redlands United left Moreton Bay United crestfallen as the two teams left Wolter Park with a 2-2 draw. 

Fyfe forced a low cross home in the 92nd minute to secure a point, after the Jets had held the lead for over an hour.

Despite dropping two points at the end, Moreton Bay are undefeated since Round 2 and have an in-from striker in Riley Campbell, who scored twice to increase his season tally to five.

While Fyfe's late intervention handed Redlands a point, the Red Devils are now without a win in four games.

Moreton Bay are at home for the third-straight week to Brisbane City this Saturday, while Redlands head up to Barlow Park to play FNQ FC Heat.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Young Roar rally to overcome Fire

Brisbane Roar Youth have come back from a goal down twice to see off a determined Sunshine Coast Fire outfit 4-2 at Kawana on Sunday afternoon.

Turning the form guide on its head, the hosts took an early lead thanks to Jez Lofthouse, but the Young Roar found an equaliser midway through the first half through Daniel Driver’s long range free kick.

After the interval, the Young Roar pressed but would find themselves behind again, as Shoichi Koshimizu converted from the spot after being fouled by Lloyd Cabilan.

From there, the Fire couldn’t deal with the pace of Rahmat Akbari and Nathan Yoon, with the duo claiming the next three goals to ensure the Young Roar emerged from the final game of the round victorious.

The result sees the Young Roar move into 8th spot, while the Fire remain in 11th, still looking for their first win of the season.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.