PS4 NPL Queensland Round 4 Review

A second-half masterclass from Northern Fury has seen them defeat a 10-man Sunshine Coast FC 8-0 at Townsville Sports Reserve.

Fury dominate 10-man Fire

Fury dominated from the outset, with Jonathan Bagley's shot from a corner deflecting off Jae Eurrell and into the back of the net for an early opener. 

Things only worsened for Fire when Zac Munster was shown a red card just before half time after he lashed out with his foot on Bagley. 

Fury piled on more pressure after the break as Hamish Cassady scored a quick brace, before Reid Murray expertly chipped the keeper from 30 metres out for the hosts' fourth. 

Darren Walker continued Fury's corner dominance, driving the ball home off the crossbar, and Jarrod Green next profited from some sharp passing with a quickfire brace.

Substitute Reece Edmonds capped off Fury's dominant performance, running onto Cassady's sideline throw and slotting the ball past the keeper. 

Fury's resounding win will give them confidence when they travel away to Redlands United FC next weekend, while Fire head to Brisbane Olympic still searching for their first win of 2017.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Strikers claim derby bragging rights

Brisbane Strikers have recorded a hard fought 2-1 victory over Brisbane City in front of a big crowd at Corporate Travel Management Stadium on Saturday night.

Both sides had their fair share of opportunities in a tightly-contested derby but a Michael Lee brace saw the Strikers secure bragging rights.

Lee opened the scoring on 24 minutes after latching on to a well-timed pass before doubling the visitors’ advantage in the shadows of half-time.

Lee's second strike proved to be critical as City had the better chances of the second half but could only pull one goal back from the boot of substitute Simon Biel in the 79th minute.

The victory is Strikers' second of their premiership defence and sees leapfrog City to third on the ladder.

Strikers' next challenge is an away date with the undefeated Gold Coast City while, John Kosmina's men host Western Pride.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


GCC extend unbeaten start

Gold Coast City have maintained their unbeaten start to the season with a 2-0 victory over SWQ Thunder at Runaway Bay Sports Super Centre.

The two sides shared solid opportunities in the opening half hour before attacker Sam Smith handed the hosts the lead with a well-struck finish on 29 minutes.

Mustafa Jafari conjured the Thunder’s two best chances in the first half with two long-range efforts, but both strikes were unable to beat Ryan Meskell.

The hosts had the better of the second half opportunities with midfielder Riley Dillon and substitute Jacob Boutoubia coming close to doubling the advantage.

It was Dillon who eventually opened up some breathing space for Gold Coast, tapping home a follow-up to a parried shot from Jarrod Kyle.

City have now won three of their opening four fixtures while the Thunder are still in search of their maiden victory of the season.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Pride claim Champions' scalp

Western Pride have secured their first win of the season, coming from behind to beat a 10-man Redlands United 2-1 at Briggs Sporting Complex on Saturday night. 

After a tight opening stanza, with a number of chances falling the way of both teams, Redlands' Mikey Dalton opened the scoring in the 54th minute, volleying a cross in the centre of the area past a stranded Luke MacDonald.

The game soon turned on its head when Redlands' Jake Sherwood was marched after taking down Jordan Lambi as the last defender. A resurgent Joe Duckworth stepped up to score from the spot, drilling the ball down the middle.

Pride's Gabriel Hawash snatched the late winner following neat work from debutant Mambo Kashindi, ensuring Pride's first win of the season in emphatic fashion.

Pride will play Brisbane City away next weekend, eager to build on tonight's win, while Redlands will return home to play an in-form Fury. 

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Beverley steals a point for Heat

Brisbane Roar Youth were denied their second win of the season by a late Charlie Beverley equaliser as FNQ FC Heat came back to secure a 1-1 draw at Meakin Park on Sunday afternoon. 

The hosts enjoyed much of the ball in the first half, but a well-organised Heat backline prevented the Young Roar from creating many dangerous openings.

That changed shortly before half-time when Finn Beakhurst smacked a shot off the upright, before Nathan Yoon scrambled the ball home to give the Young Roar the lead. 

Heat flew out of the blocks in the second half as Charlie Beverley and Jamie Carroll began to link up dangerously, but it looked like their efforts would come to nothing when Carroll was substituted.

Beverley continued to push for an equaliser and was rewarded with seconds left on the clock, poking home from close range to leave the match all square. 

The Young Roar host SWQ Thunder at Suncorp Stadium next Saturday, while Heat will welcome Moreton Bay United to Cairns.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.