PS4 NPL Queensland Round 20 Review

Moreton Bay United’s Championship defence is officially over after going down 1-0 to Western Pride at Briggs Road Complex.

Redlands too strong for Fury

Redlands United remain in the hunt for a finals berth following a comfortable 2-1 victory over Northern Fury FC at Cleveland Showgrounds.

After their much lauded ‘cupset’ over Adelaide United midweek, all eyes were on the home side to see if there would be any hangover from their historic win.

The hosts took the lead only two minutes into the contest when Stephen Green pounced from a throw-in, before Kai Halliday’s header doubled the advantage shortly after the quarter hour.

Fury found late consolation via George Dalton’s maiden PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues goal, however the hosts saw out the contest on to wrap up a their maiden home win over Fury in four attempts.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


City to the four against Young Roar

A hat-trick from Scot Coulson has delivered Brisbane City their biggest win of the season after shutting out Brisbane Roar Youth 4-0 at Cleveland Showgrounds.

Coulson struck the opener inside a quarter hour before Nathan Bird capped a busy performance by doubling the advantage prior to half-time.

Coulson then struck twice again in the second half as City capitalised on a resolute defensive performance to post their first league double over Young Roar.

The win sees City reclaim their hold on fifth place in the league standings with only goal difference keeping them out of the top four behind Redlands United.

For Young Roar, the result concludes their hopes of securing a maiden PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland Finals Series appearance.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Strikers down Heat to go top

Brisbane Strikers are top of the table for the first time this year following a stunning come-from-behind 2-1 win over FNQ Heat at Perry Park.

Following a goalless first half, Strikers were on the back foot when Heat skipper Jamie Carroll opened accounts five minutes after the restart – the goal returning him to outright first in the race for this year’s Golden Boot.

However, the introduction of substitute Jonti Richter proved the catalyst for a stirring fightback by the hosts as he set up Trent Clulow for the equaliser just before the hour, before delivering the match winner with eleven minutes remaining.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Pride end Jets' championship defence

Mitchell Bird struck his fifth goal of the season midway through the second half for Pride after both sides failed to capitalise on earlier chances.

Jets hopes of a cut-back dissipated in the final minutes when Jordan Farina was dismissed for a second bookable offence.

The result ends a frustrating nine match winless run for the second-from-bottom Pride and also marks their first clean sheet of the 2016 season.

Jets remain seventh on the ladder and even with two wins in the final two rounds will be unable to secure a top four finish.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Thunder too hot for Fire

A three-goal first-half blitz from Mustafa Jafari has guided SWQ Thunder to a club record 4-0 win over Sunshine Coast FC at Sunshine Coast Stadium.

Jafari's maiden PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues hat-trick lifted his season’s tally to an even dozen and all but sealed the win prior to half-time for Thunder.

However, Korean Hong Soon Im iced the result midway through the second half with a stunning 50 yard strike after spotting Fire goalkeeper Samuel Nickolls off his line.

The four goal margin is Thunder’s largest ever in PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues, but may have been extended further had Xavier Pratt converted a penalty in time added on.

The result also marks just the third clean sheet for Thunder this year and ends a five match winless streak for the Toowoomba club.

For Fire, the defeat is their third straight but they maintain their hold on ninth place in the standings.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


City wrap up double over Olympic

Gold Coast City have moved one step closer to sealing a top four finish after seeing off Olympic FC 3-1 at Goodwin Park.

Two first-half penalties to Benjamin Litfin set the platform for the visitors before Rhys Saunders sealed the result early in the second half.

Earlier, Sam Cronin levelled scores for the hosts midway through the first half with a trademark stunning free-kick, however, despite several changes, Olympic were unable to peg back City a second time.

The win sees City become the first side to post a league double over Olympic this year and puts them four points clear of the challengers in fourth place.

Olympic’s first defeat in five outings sees them conclude the round in sixth position and in danger of missing the PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland Finals Series for the first time.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.