PS4 NPL Queensland Round 2 Review

Three teams continued their perfect starts to the 2016 campaigns during Round 2 while three others broke through for their first wins of the season.

Highlights -

Brisbane Strikers FC  1 (Shelford DAIS 64’)
Redlands United FC  3 (Michael Lee 45+1’, own goal 52’, Graham FYFE 73’)

Match Report -

Redlands United continued their strong start to the 2016 campaign with a fighting 3-1 win over Brisbane Strikers at Perry Park.

The Red Devils held out Strikers for the final quarter hour of the contest with only ten men after Stephen Green was forced from the ground with injury.

Earlier, a stunning strike from Michael Lee broke the shackles on a somewhat cagey opening stanza only seconds before half-time.

The sides then went tit-for-tat shortly after the restart before 2015 Golden Boot Graham Fyfe delivered the decisive strike midway through the second half.

The win marks the first time Redlands have defeated Strikers at Perry Park in PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues.

Moreton Bay United FC  3 (Jordan FARINA 8’, Scott STEWART 51’, Alex JANOVSKY 81’)
Brisbane Roar FC Youth  1 (Joseph CHAMPNESS 41’)

Match Report -

Moreton Bay United continued their perfect start to their title defence with a 3-1 win over Brisbane Roar Youth at Wolter Park.

A fast and sometimes frantic contest saw the sides locked at a goal apiece at the break as former Jet Joseph Champness cancelled out Jordan Farina’s opener late in the half.

Scott Stewart restored the hosts advantage shortly after the restart before off-season recruit Alex Janovsky struck his second goal in as many games in the closing stages to seal Jets second win of the campaign.

FNQ FC Heat  4 (Jamie CARROLL 26’, Jamie GOSLING 45’, Keiran SANDERS 79’, Joshua PIN 82’)
Sunshine Coast FC  0

Match Report -

FNQ Heat are the early season league leaders following a commanding 4-0 win over Sunshine Coast FC at Barlow Park.

Joshua Pin, Jamie Carroll and Jamie Gosling both netted their second goals in as many matches for the hosts, while Keiran Sanders scored his first PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues goal off the bench.

The result marks the best ever season start for the Heat in the competition’s history and extends their unbeaten run against Fire to five games.

Heat currently sit above Moreton Bay United and Redlands United on goal difference after the opening two rounds of the competition.

Western Pride FC  2 (Corey LUCAS 41’p, Joseph DUCKWORTH 45’)
Gold Coast City FC  6 (Morgan SAUNDERS 12’ 89’, Jarrod KYLE 21’ 25’ 51’, Rees DUNCAN 80’)

Match Report -

Jarrod Kyle struck a hat-trick and Morgan Saunders a brace as Gold Coast City opened their tally for 2016 with a runaway 6-2 win over Western Pride at Briggs Road.

The open contest saw plenty of chances for both sides, with several saves from City goalkeeper Shane Viitakangas proving telling in the final result.

Kyle’s hat-trick is his first in PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland after 48 appearances, while Saunders goals were his first ever in the national second tier competition.

SWQ Thunder FC  1 (Mustafa JAFARI 58’)
Brisbane City FC  2 (Antonio MURRAY 42’, Samuel SIBATUARA 75’p)

Match Report -

SWQ Thunder came crashing back down to earth following last week's celebrations after Brisbane City prevailed 2-1 to claim their first win of the season at Clive Berghofer Stadium.

Samuel Sibatuara delivered the decisive strike from the penalty spot for City with a quarter hour remaining after Antonio Murray’s first-half opener was cancelled out by Thunder’s Mustafa Jafari.

City goalkeeper Timothy Allen proved solid to deny several chances for Thunder in the second half to ensure a maiden three points in the PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues for coach John Kosmina.

Olympic FC  4 (Youeil SHOL 3’ 7’ 36’, Matthew HEATH 85’)
Northern Fury FC  1 (Jonathon BAGLEY 85’)

Match Report -

A maiden PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues hat-trick from Youeil Shol guided Olympic FC to a comfortable 4-1 win over Northern Fury at Goodwin Park.

Shol struck three goals in the first half to all but seal the points for the hosts before the break before team mate Matthew Heath iced the win late in the match from the penalty spot.

Despite Fury proving more stoic in the second stanza – and finding late consolation through Jonathon Bagley's goal - it proved little comfort as they now become the last remaining side in the competition without a point after the opening two rounds.