PS4 NPL Queensland Round 15 Review

Christopher O’Hare returned to score a 95th-minute penalty for 10-man FNQ Heat in a dramatic 1-0 win over Brisbane Roar Youth at Endeavour Park.

10-man Heat win stoppage time thriller

Fresh from an overseas break, O’Hare held his nerve from the spot deep into stoppage time to send Heat back into the top four.

Scores remained level until after the hour when the odds turned in Young Roar’s favour with the dismissal of Charlie Beverley.

Heat ‘keeper Kevin Ward was called upon to maintain parity until O’Hare dispatched the decisive penalty at the death.

The Cairns side are now right back in the top four mix, while Young Roar’s fourth straight defeat means they remain ninth ahead next weekend’s trip to Toowoomba.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Sawyer, Pride dominate Redlands

Harrison Saywer led Western Pride to a dominating 5-0 win over Redlands United on a crisp Friday night at Cleveland Showgrounds.

Sawyer and Joe Duckworth were in sync all evening, with the duo both scoring in the first half to send Pride on the way to their fourth win of the season.

Sawyer grabbed two more in the second half to chalk up his second hat-trick in three games, all while holding up play superbly for his midfield.

Pride host Brisbane City next Saturday hoping to secure back-to-back wins for the first time this season, while Redlands will be in Mackay to visit Northern Fury.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Strikers edge City in Brisbane derby

Hiroki Omori’s first-half strike proved the difference for Brisbane Strikers in a hard-fought 1-0 win over Brisbane City at Perry Park on Saturday night.

Omori netted the decisive goal shortly before half-time to keep the pressure on leaders Gold Coast City.

The visitors started brightly and could have grabbed an early lead but ultimately fell behind when Strikers’ silky fullback drove in the opener.

Zac Speedy and Bon Scott both made important saves to keep it to a lone goal which proved enough for the home side to deny their rivals a top four spot.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Three goal GCC roll past Thunder

Gold Coast City have maintained their five-point lead at the top after a professional 3-0 win away to SWQ Thunder on Saturday night.

Eoghan Murphy’s header and Sam Smith’s second half brace put the seal on City’s eighth win in nine matches and ended the hosts’ two-match winning run.

Thunder enjoyed a couple of early opportunities but the visitors took control on the half hour when Murphy nodded in the opener.

Gold Coast stamped their authority following the restart as Smith continued his excellent form with two more beyond the hour.

Grae Piddick’s side will aim to make it nine in 10 away to Brisbane City next weekend while Thunder welcome Brisbane Roar Youth to Toowoomba.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Olympic battle to beat Jets

Brisbane Olympic made it four wins on the spin with a hard-earned 1-0 victory over Moreton Bay United at Wolter Park on Saturday night.

Jets, needing three points to remain in the top four, enjoyed the weight of first-half opportunities but were undone by Daniel Byrne’s lone goal just before the hour.

Byrne was earlier denied the opener by teenage debutant Riley Stent and a string of Jets chances followed that save, including Alex Janovsky’s shot against the post on the stroke of half-time.

Both teams created openings after Byrne's goal but the visitors held firm to record an important road victory, keeping the title hopefuls within two matches of leaders Gold Coast City.

Jets’ defeat leaves them needing a win against FNQ FC Heat next Saturday in order to leapfrog the visitors into fourth.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Fury secure road win

Two goals either side of half-time has secured a 2-0 road victory for Northern Fury against the Sunshine Coast.

The Fury remain a mathematical chance of playing in the finals after compounding the Fire’s woes.

The hosts succumbed to their 13th defeat from 15 games this season, all but consigning them to the wooden spoon.

The visitors had the better chances of the opening period and made that dominance tell on the cusp of the break as Johnathon Bagley headed home from close range.

Eighteen minutes after the break and Corey Waples handed his side some breathing space from the penalty spot, converting coolly.

The Fire had a couple of final chances to haul themselves back into the game, but couldn’t find a way to goal.

They now face the high-flying Olympic while the Fury return to North Queensland to host Redlands United.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.