PS4 NPL Queensland Round 12 Review

The PlayStation 4 NPL Queensland Premiership race is tighter than ever following an electrifying Round 12.

Redlands United FC – 4 (Alistair DAVIS 14’, Michael LEE 59' 76', Michael McGOWAN 85')
Gold Coast City FC – 2 (Nikola MIRKOVIC 34', Jarrod KYLE 52')

CLICK HERE for Match Report

Michael Lee’s second-half brace propelled Redlands United to a 4-2 victory over Gold Coast City in a topsy-turvy affair at Cleveland Showgrounds on Friday night.

Returning from a neck injury, Lee proved he could do it both on the ground and in the air by lobbing Gold Coast ‘keeper Shane Viitakangas for a second-half equaliser before then rising in the penalty area to head the hosts in front.

Following Lee’s heroics, Michael McGowan struck with five minutes remaining to consign City to just a second loss of the season.

The result sees Redlands end the round in third position behind Brisbane Strikers on goal difference and only one point behind leaders FNQ Heat.


FNQ FC Heat – 4 (Jamie CARROLL 15' 45'+1, Christopher O'HARE 40', Ari ISMAN 81')
Olympic FC – 5 (Daniel BYRNE 4', Ramone CLOSE 12', Matthew HEATH 71', Kristen WATERS 76', Sam CRONIN 87')

CLICK HERE for Match Report

Sam Cronin crashed home a dramatic 87th minute free-kick to hand a 10-man Olympic FC a thrilling 5-4 victory over FNQ Heat at Endeavour Park in Cairns.

The lead changed hands four times in a rollercoaster encounter, with the end result leaving Heat hanging onto a one-point lead at the top of the table.

The action was unrelenting as Jamie Carroll's double lifted him to the top of the goalscorers chart, but the visitors overcome a Heat fightback to make it three unbeaten.

Stunningly, Olympic had to mount their own comeback with just 10 men after Ramon Close was shown a second yellow card shortly after the restart.


Brisbane Strikers FC – 2 (Trent CLULOW 20', Luke MARSH 52')
Brisbane Roar FC Youth – 0

CLICK HERE for Match Report

Trent Clulow and Luke Marsh scored either side of half-time to help Brisbane Strikers see off a determined Brisbane Roar Youth 2-0 at Perry Park.

Strikers led at the break courtesy of Clulow's close-range strike in the 20th minute, before Marsh pounced on a dropped ball by Andrew Jannese shortly after the restart to double the advantage

Young Roar pinned Strikers back with a succession of free kicks and corners but struggled to make the most of their openings in slipping to a third defeat in six matches.

Victory moves Strikers back ahead of third-placed Redlands United on goal difference and only a point behind league leaders FNQ Heat.


Moreton Bay United FC – 1 (Matt BYRNE 37')
Brisbane City FC – 1 (Koh SATAKE 49')

CLICK HERE for Match Report

Brisbane City are into the top four after recovering from a goal down to claim a 1-1 draw against Moreton Bay United at Wolter Park.

Koh Satake scored four minutes after the restart to cancel out Matthew Byrne's first-half opener and extend his side's unbeaten run to six matches.

Both sides had chances to secure all three points as Mitchell Hore shot wide of an open goal while City teammate Tim Allen was needed to keep out a pair of late Jets efforts.

The point sees John Kosmina's side leapfrog Gold Coast City into fourth, while the hosts' inability to put opponents away means they have won just once in five games.


Northern Fury FC – 1 (Benjamin STANLEY 72’)
SWQ Thunder FC – 3 (Thomas FANNING 81’, Majok PIOK 89’, Nykodah SMITH 90’+3)

CLICK HERE for Match Report

SWQ Thunder scored three goals after the 80th minute in surging to a 3-1 win over Northern Fury at Townsville Sports Reserve.

Benjamin Stanley's 72nd minute goal gave Fury hope of finally securing their first points of the season, but a late Thunder flurry secured the visitors a fifth win of the campaign.

Tensions boiled over midway during the first half as Corey Waples' late tackle sparked a scuffle with both teams having to be separated and cautions being given both ways.

Further drama followed in an action-packed final 20 minutes as Fury faded to a 12th straight defeat, while Thunder rise to within five points of the top four.


Sunshine Coast FC – 3 (Paul MIKULA p.3’, Grant DE CHASTEL 5’, Paul BROWNLIE 87’) 
Western Pride FC – 1 (Will McFARLANE 53’)

CLICK HERE for Match Report

Sunshine Coast punished a sluggish Western Pride with two goals in the opening five minutes setting up a 3-1 win at Kawana Sports Precinct.

Paul Mikula opened the scoring from the penalty spot inside three minutes, before Fire doubled their advantage two minutes later when Grant De Chastel volleyed home a cross. 

Pride cut the deficit shortly after the restart through Will McFarlane but Fire substitute Paul Brownlie blasted home in the 87th minute to end a two-game losing run.

Sam Saif's side now leapfrog Pride into eighth, with the Ipswich outfit falling to second-bottom.