PS4 NPL Queensland Round 12 Review

An absolutely incredible finish has seen Brisbane Strikers share the spoils with the Western Pride in a 2-2 result.

Strikers and Pride fight to crazy finish

Following a somewhat tame first half, with few chances created by either side, the second 45 minutes were full of end-to-end football.

With the match nearing its conclusion, however, things really ramped up. With just under ten minutes left, Dylan Wenzell-Halls showed great power to muscle off two Strikers defenders and finish in the corner to give the Pride the lead.

That lead was short-lived, as Greg Henslee was fouled in the box, and Jeremy Stewart would convert the penalty to tie the game with just injury time left to play.

The game would somehow continue its insane pace, as Stewart would grab an unlikely double, heading home from a cross at the back post deep into injury time.

But with the Strikers perhaps thinking they’d grabbed the winner, the Pride miraculously salvaged a draw shortly afterwards as Wenzel-Halls grabbed his double as well, poking home after a goalmouth scramble.

The draw sees Strikers drop two valuable points in the hunt for top spot, as they travel to Moreton Bay United next weekend. Western Pride, meanwhile, remain in 9th, just two points behind the Northern Fury and the Brisbane Roar Youth, who they host next week.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Gold Coast thump Heat to stay top

Gold Coast City have maintained their slight lead atop the standings following an emphatic 5-1 victory over FNQFC Heat on Saturday night.

The hosts opened the scoring after just eleven minutes, with Jarrod Kyle slotting home from a wonderful cross from Riley Dillon.

Dillon would double the advantage just before the break, scrambling the ball home after picking up the scraps from his own attempted cross.

The Heat would not be deterred, and just minutes after the interval they got their reward, with captain Jamie Carroll towering a header home to halve the deficit.

The two goal buffer would be restored, however, as Jarrod Kyle scored a header of his own halfway through the half.

Left-back Matt Schmidt would then score a goal of the year candidate, as his mazy solo run was slammed in the corner, to seal the result.

Ben Lyvidikos would add the icing on the cake as the clock wound down, as the home side retained their three point lead at the top. They’ll travel to Brisbane City next weekend.

The Heat will regroup with a home game against the Fury next weekend, looking to keep up the pressure on the top four.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Thunder claim huge upset over City

SWQ Thunder has upset the form guide, securing a nervy 1-0 win over top four aspirant Brisbane City on Saturday night.

Looking for a second win to kick-start their season, the Thunder were put under heavy pressure from the first whistle, with keeper Luke Macdonald having a game to remember, repelling all City attacks.

City’s inability to hit the target would soon come back to haunt them, with the Thunder awarded a penalty for a handball in the box after half an hour. Tom Fanning would make no mistake and gifted the home side the lead.

It would be all hands on deck in the second 45, with Sibatuara and Kakehi seeing good opportunities denied by a determined Macdonald in net.

His save on Mitchell Hore in the dying moments would prove to be especially important, as the Thunder hung on for a vital win.

With the somewhat shock victory, the Thunder would put pressure on Redlands United for 10th spot on the ladder, as they travel to the Sunshine Coast to play the bottom placed Fire next week.

The loss for Brisbane City sees their position in the top four come under serious scrutiny, with Olympic, FNQ Heat and Moreton Bay United all looking to take advantage. They’ll host ladder leaders Gold Coast City in the next round.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Olympic outclass Young Roar

Brisbane Olympic have ensured they remain hot on the heels of the league’s top sides with a comprehensive 4-0 win over Young Roar on Saturday night.

The result is the Young Roar’s third defeat in their last four matches and sees them lose touch with the top four.

Michael Morrow set the tone for the evening in the second minute, putting the visitors in front with a curling effort.

The Young Roar almost made it to the break with just the one goal deficit before Kazuya Ito finished superbly to send his side into the sheds with a strong grasp on the contest.

Charles Slaney added a third for Olympic in the 64th minute before Scott Bow converted a stoppage time penalty to round off a comfortable victory.

Olympic return to home turf next weekend to face Redlands United while the Roar would drop to ninth if they fall to Western Pride next Saturday.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Jets snatch late road win

A last-gasp winner has secured a valuable three points for Moreton Bay United on the road in Townsville.

Paul Mikula’s stoppage time strike stole the three points which could prove crucial come the end of the season.

The hosts started the contest on the front foot, taking the lead just seven minutes in with a long-range strike from Jarrod Green.

The sides traded solid chances before Donggyu Lee restored parity shortly before the half-hour mark.

The scoreline stayed locked until the death when only minutes after having a goal disallowed, the Fury conceded the lead with Mikula snatching the win for the Jets.

The loss leaves the Fury’s season hanging by a thread, dwindling in seventh spot well behind the top six sides.

The Jets return home next Saturday night to host the Strikers while the Fury have their shortest away trip of the season against the Heat.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.


Redlands secure much needed win

Redlands United have secured a drama-filled 4-2 victory against Sunshine Coast Fire at Cleveland Showgrounds on Saturday evening. 

Fire netted the first goal following a defensive mistake from Redlands, but they would soon surrender the lead as Redlands scored two quickfire goals either side of the half-time break.

Fire's Jez Lofthouse pulled back the difference in the 51st minute and, when Redlands' Swithenbank was marched for his second yellow, the game headed towards a tense finish.

Despite being a man down, Redlands held on and Warrilow scored his second to seal the win, lifting Redlands towards the middle of the table.

Redlands play Brisbane Olympic away next weekend in what will prove a good test of their current form, while Fire host South West Queensland Thunder, still looking for their first win.

CLICK HERE for the full match report.