PS4 NPL NNSW Round 7 Review

The Lambton Jaffas grabbed just their second win of the season against the struggling Adamstown Rosebud in Round 7 of PlayStation 4 NPL Northern NSW.

Match of the Round

Maitland Magpies 3 (Broadley 21’, 79’, Heffernan (p) 41’) Weston Workers Bears 0 at Rockwell Automation Park
Sunday May 21, 2.30pm

Maitland grabbed their first win in the Coalfields Derby of the PlayStation®4 NPL Northern NSW since promotion in 2014 and kept their undefeated start to the season going in a scrappy win over the Bears in Weston.

Maitland dominated most of the early exchanges, as former Magpies turned Weston keeper Benn Kelly made some outstanding saves in the opening half. But it was Kelly who would turn from hero to villain moments later when he fouled Matt Thompson in the box.

Maitland skipper Blake Thompson stepped up and thumped his penalty straight at Kelly, whose save ricocheted to Ryan Broadley charging into the box. Broadley then slotted his shot with his right foot into an open net.

Things turned for Maitland, late in the first half, as Brock Oakley was given his marching orders after receiving his second yellow card.

But that setback didn’t affect Maitland, as they continued to ask questions of Weston’s defence. Ryan Broadley going one-on-one with Kelly, before being fouled by Weston’s keeper in the box. A penalty was the only result, as somehow Kelly escaped without a yellow, which would have been his second if given.

Dean Heffernan stepped up and finished calmly, as he slotted into the bottom right corner with his left boot.


Lambton Jaffas 5 (Remington 42’, 60’, 90+3’, Wood 69’, Majurovski 78’) defeated Adamstown Rosebud 0 at Arthur Edden Oval
Saturday, May 21, 2.30pm

Luke Remington starred for the home side as he netted a hat-trick in the Jaffas win.

Remington scored the Jaffas first of the afternoon late in the first half, when Jobe Wheelhouse sent in a cross from the right edge which was headed down by John Majurovski at the back post. Adamstown keeper Paul Bitz made a great low save, which sat up for Remington to volley into the roof of the net.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Pete McPherson chipped a pinpoint ball over the top of Adamstown’s backline, before Remington once again finished brilliantly with his left, hitting his shot over Bitz into the top right corner.

Joel Wood then grabbed his second of the season, when he intercepted an Owen Littlewood pass on near halfway. Wood went one-on-one with Bitz and it didn’t disappoint, rolling it past him to give the Jaffas a 3-0 advantage.

Wood then turned provider, with a cross from the left edge of the box finding an unmarked John Majurovski at the back post to net the home side’s fourth of the afternoon.

Remington finished off his hat-trick in the dying embers of the second half, when a John Majurovski pass found him cutting into the box on the left, before Remington rolled his shot across Bitz into the bottom right corner.


Hamilton Olympic 5 (Goodchild 5’, 19’, 50’, Bailey 38’, Brown 76’ ) defeated Newcastle Jets Youth 0 at Darling Street Oval
Saturday May 21, 2.30pm

Hamilton Olympic kept their undefeated run going in Round 7 of the PlayStation 4 NPL Northern NSW competition, with a big victory over the Newcastle Jets Youth side.

In a match where both sides created plenty of chances; it was Hamilton Olympic who finished better at home, with Kane Goodchild the star on the day, bagging his second hat-trick of the season in the win.

Goodchild’s first came inside the opening 5 minutes when he controlled the ball at the top of the eighteen yard box before stabbing a shot which found its way inside Jets’ keeper Pierce Clark’s right hand post.

Goodchild’s second was given to him on a platter as a defensive mix-up saw Tyson Jackson head the ball into the path of Hamilton’s font man, who ran into the box before sliding a shot across Clark and into the bottom left corner.

Jacob Bailey scored Hamilton’s third and final goal in the first half, when an on-target Daniel Bird shot from an acute angle on the left was parried by Clark straight to the waiting Bailey who tapped it over the line for one of the easiest goals he would have scored.


Broadmeadow Magic 3 (Bradbury 3’, S.Paul 37’, Virgili 77’) Valentine Phoenix 3 (Olzomer 53’, 58’, M.Paul 70’) at Magic Park
Sunday May 21, 2.30pm

Broadmeadow Magic were held to an exciting three all draw at Magic Park on Sunday afternoon in what was a confidence boosting performance for the Phoenix.

Broadmeadow charged out of the blocks, as they did last weekend against Hamilton, with Kale Bradbury scoring the opener. Dino Fajkovic played a lovely through ball down the right to James Virgili who cut back a cross for Bradbury to finish from close range.

Shane Paul scored the Magic’s second eight minutes before half time when Peter Haynes flicked on a goal kick with his neck to Paul who went one-on-one with Valentine keeper Beyhan Irmako and hit his right foot shot across the keeper into the left corner.

Brenton Olzomer then got Valentine back into the match after a lovely cross from Chris Brown which Olzomer back-heeled past Nick Hartnett in the Magic goals.

Valentine were back level just five minutes later, when Olzomer grabbed his second after he headed over Hartnett.


Edgeworth Eagles 6 (Taylor 38’, 66’ Moore 53’, 70’, Hammel 86’, Moriyasu 90+1’) Charlestown City Blues 1 (Kjiln 54’) at Jack McLaughlan Oval
Sunday May 21, 2.45pm

The Edgeworth Eagles inflicted Charlestown’s first defeat of the season in a big way, when they returned home to Jack McLaughlan Oval in Round 7.

The first half was a tight affair and it took until the 38th minute for the first goal of the game, when Edgeworth’s Dylan Holz played a ball across the face of the box to Keanu Moore, who played in Brody Taylor on the left. Taylor then hit a first time right foot shot into the bottom right corner, past keeper Nathan Archbold.

The second half started well for the Eagles, when Daniel Minors played a well weighted ball through Charlestown’s defence to find Keanu Moore who didn’t miss from close range.

But, Charlestown’s reply was almost instantaneous as Rene Ferguson cut back a cross from the left onto the head of Andy Kjiln waiting at the back post, who powered his header into an empty net as Eagles keeper Jim Fogarty was waiting at the near post for the cross.

Brody Taylor then restored Edgeworth’s two goal lead, when Keanu Moore found him on the left. Taylor then cut into the box and hit a powerful shot under Archbold, the ferocity of the shot was too much for him to keep out.


CLICK HERE for a full report from all of the Round 7 matches.