PS4 NPL NNSW Round 4 Review

Round 4’s Match of the Round kicked off at Lisle Carr Oval, with Adamstown Rosebud travelling to Charlestown to take on the Blues.

Match of the Round
Charlestown City Blues FC 2 defeat Adamstown Rosebud FC 0
Sunday, May 1, 1.30pm
Lisle Carr Oval

The fixture holds a close rivalry for both sides, with Adamstown struggling to defeat Charlestown regardless of their side’s finishes – since promotion in the PlayStation®4 National Premier League, Charlestown has gone undefeated against the boys in green and red.

Charlestown showed that they were ready to respect Adamstown’s attacking dangers allowing Adamstown to come out of their half and attack the home side.

However Charlestown held their defence strong and became bolder in their attacks, with Rene Ferguson being the focal point of their danger. The forward proved his worth just after the half-hour mark, with two shots that both rattled the post and left one ball sitting up for Scott Smith to bury into the back of the net.

Now down in the match, another blow struck for Adamstown minutes later, with captain Daniel Clements going off with an injury to his left leg after a challenge from Ben Hughes left him on the ground. Clements was replaced by Calum Gallagher and the Rosebud’s were set to get a goal after losing their captain in rapid succession.

The problems piled on for the Rosebud’s away from home, with another counter seeing Charlestown making their way into Adamstown’s box, before Jarryd Johnson doubled City’s lead in the game and bag his first goal for his new club in his very first outing.


Valentine FC 0 defeated by Lambton Jaffas FC 2
Saturday, April 30, 3pm
Cahill Oval

The opening game of the round came at Cahill Oval, where Valentine welcomed the Lambton Jaffas for their first clash in the PlayStation 4 NPL.

After coming off last weekend in a defeat that saw them fail to find the back of the net, Lambton set out early to right their own wrongs and net a goal or two for their side.

The first of these chances came just fifteen minutes in for the travelling side, with James Burn managing to head in a corner that was whipped and weighted perfectly – the Jaffas were the first to put their name on the board at Cahill Oval.

The stroke of half time brought another goal, with another header spelling danger for Valentine, as John Majurovski was able to beat the keeper near the wide post and double the Jaffas’ lead going into the sheds.


Hamilton Olympic FC 4 defeat Weston Workers FC 0
Saturday, April 30, 6pm
Darling Street Oval

The late kick-off on Saturday evening saw the Weston Workers travel to Darling Street Oval, where Hamilton Olympic haven’t failed to pick up three points in the league since 16th August last year.

The match proved to be an interesting affair, with a total of three red cards between the two sides dropping both teams below their starting eleven in the game.

The first of these red cards came for Ben Kelly, with Weston’s keeper sent to the sheds as Leo Bertos converted the subsequent penalty to give Olympic the lead at home.

The score was just 1-0 as both teams entered the second half, but without their first choice keeper and down a player, the Bears just couldn’t keep Hamilton out forever and Kane Goodchild scored early in the second forty-five minutes.


Broadmeadow Magic FC 1 drew Edgeworth FC 1
Sunday, May 1, 2.30pm
Magic Park

The final match to be played in the fourth round of the competition was a top-table clash – Broadmeadow Magic welcomed the reigning champions Edgeworth to Magic Park with one goal in mind for both sides – the top of the table.

With both teams able to field strong sides, the game was one of attack and both Magic and the travelling Eagles were keen to get goals on the board for their side to claim that early advantage.

It was the away side that managed to land the first blow in the match however, with Brody Taylor and Keanu Moore linking up inside the box to give an easy finish and hand Edgeworth the early lead.

It only lasted for just over fifteen minutes however, with Kale Bradbery’s effort from inside the box beat Edgeworth’s Jim Fogarty at the near post to level the scores and bring Magic right back into the competition.

Both sides were eager to claim the winning goal as the game’s clock ticked on and on and although both sides were able to create good chances as well as force holes and problems for each side, the scores remained locked.


Maitland FC v Newcastle Jets Youth
Sunday, May 1, 1.30pm
Cooks Square Park

Maitland v Newcastle Jets Youth has been delayed due to wet weather conditions, with kick-off times and dates to be decided by Northern NSW Football and the clubs.


CLICK HERE for a full report from Round 4.