PS4 NPL NNSW Round 17 Review

Hyundai A-League 2012/13 Golden Boot Daniel McBreen scored the winner as the Edgeworth Eagles prevailed under pressure to secure back-to-back PlayStation 4 NPL Northern NSW premierships.

Match of the Round
Edgeworth Eagles 2 defeated Maitland Magpies 1
2.30pm Sunday 7th August at Jack McLaughlan Oval

The Eagles created multiple chances and dominated in the opening 20 minutes despite the early loss of Brody Taylor to an ankle injury.

However, it was Maitland who found their finishing touch first.

Liam Thornton was on the spot at the back post in the 21st minute when a Matt Thompson free kick deflected off an Edgeworth head and fell to him for the easiest of nods into an open net.

But the Eagles continued to threaten and have the better of possession. They were eventually rewarded when Dylan Holz equalised in the 38th minute off a cross from Bren Hammel, who found space down the right.

With Hamilton leading 1-0 over Valentine at Darling Street Oval, Edgeworth were in danger of giving up the competition lead to Olympic before McBreen struck.

The 39-year-old took a through ball from Hammel and showed pace to get behind the Maitland defence and earn a one-on-one chance in the 67th minute which he buried with his left-foot.

With Hamilton later conceding two late goals to draw 2-2 with Phoenix, the McBreen strike proved the difference as Edgeworth hung on for the win to move to 43 points, four clear of Olympic on the table, and secure the minor premiership with a round to play.


Newcastle Jets Youth 3 defeated Lambton Jaffas 0
2.30pm Saturday 6th August at Arthur Edden Oval

Newcastle Jets Youth coach Clayton Zane said the finishing touch of his side proved the difference as they ran out 3-0 winners over an understrength Lambton Jaffas on Saturday at Edden Oval.

The Jaffas rested captain Jobe Wheelhouse, Ben Hay, Kevin Davison, Bailey Jensen and Joel Wood to avoid a potential yellow card accumulation suspension on the eve of their Westfield FFA Cup round of 32 match in Devonport on Wednesday night. Peter McPherson has also withdrawn from the rest of the season and Michael Sessions was suspended on Saturday.

With the Jaffas, who are eighth on 16 points, focused on the FFA Cup, the Jets Youth produced to move to sixth place on 21 points.

Finn Parris provided balls in for Angus Thurgate to score at the back post in the fifth minute and Kristian Brymora to repeat the dose in the 28th.

The Jets Youth made 3-0 in the 56th minute when Tom Waller scored off a rebounded shot by Brymora.


Weston Workers Bears 4 defeated Adamstown Rosebud 1
2.30pm Sunday 8th August at Rockwell Automation Park

A double from Jake Barner lifted Weston to their first win of the season as Adamstown's woes with red cards continued in a 4-1 loss on Sunday.

The last-placed Bears, who moved to six points with the victory at home, took the lead in the third minute with Lee Ashton's header off a Garry McDermott cross from a short corner.

Adamstown's hopes of a revival were hit hard when defender Daniel Yaxley was shown a straight red card for a lunging challenge in midfield on Barner in the 42nd minute and Weston took a 1-0 at half-time.

Heavy rain hit Rockwell Automation Park before Barner made it 2-0 in the 55th minute when his left-foot strike took a deflection off an Adamstown defender.

Barner then cut in onto his left foot and hit a great strike in off the bottom of the crossbar in the 75th minute for 3-0.

On 88 minutes, Adamstown earned a penalty for a Nathan Morris handball and Alex Read converted for 3-1.

Morris then made it 4-1 with a free header off a corner in the second minute of injury time.


Hamilton Olympic 2 drew with Valentine Phoenix 2
2.30pm, Sunday 8th August at Darling Street Oval

Hamilton coach Michael Bolch was left to lament his side's missed opportunities after their premiership hopes were lost in a frantic finish against Valentine on Sunday at Darling Street Oval.

Olympic led 2-0 after 62 minutes but Valentine struck in the 86th minute then saved a penalty and scored the equaliser in the second minute of injury time for a 2-2 draw. The result and Edgeworth's win over Maitland guaranteed Hamilton, who are on 39 points, four behind Edgeworth, a second-placed finish.

Tom Spencer scored with a near-post, left-foot touch to an Andrew Swan cross in the 41st minute to put Hamilton ahead.

Kane Goodchild made it 2-0 in the 62nd minute with a header on the line after the woodwork and Valentine players had repelled three consecutive shots from Hamilton.

Valentine mounted their comeback in the 86th minute when Matt Paul scored with a deft touch, skilful turn and sweet strike from the top of the box.

Hamilton had the chance to seal the win and ensure they stayed in the minor premiership race in the second minute of injury time when Goodchild had a penalty shot after a foul in the box.

However, his low strike was saved by a diving Perry Budden and Valentine moved the ball quickly up the other end, where Brenton Olzomer scored with a left-foot shot at the back post off a cross less than 30 seconds later.

Budden was physically sick after the game and went to the hospital with a concussion suffered early in the second half in an effort Valentine coach described as "unbelievable".


Broadmeadow Magic 2 defeated by Charlestown City Blues 2
2.30pm Sunday 8th August at Magic Park

Rene Ferguson starred for Charlestown as they came back from 2-0 down to defeat Broadmeadow 3-2 at Magic Park on Sunday.

Ferguson set up two goals for the Blues before scoring the winner in the 90th minute to move fifth-placed Charlestown to 24 points.

Michael Kantarovski gave Magic the lead in the second minute when he scored with a crisp left-foot strike.

Scott Pettit then finished a counter-attacking move in the 15th minute to put the hosts ahead 2-0.

Charlestown responded in the 38th minute when Ferguson won the ball in midfield then provided the pass for Scott Smith, who buried his strike from the left corner of the 18-yard box inside the far post

Charlestown then drew level in the 54th minute when Ferguson hit a cross from the by-line to an unmarked Josh Pippen, who knocked in the easiest of goals inside the far post.

Ferguson then gave Charlestown the win when he finished a one-on-one chance from close range with his left foot after substitute Josh Maguire provided the through ball.


CLICK HERE for a full Round 17 review.