PS4 NPL NNSW Review: Round 5

The Northern NSW PlayStation 4 NPL Match of the Round was contested in extremely windy conditions yesterday at Cook Square Park between Maitland and Weston Workers.

Maitland FC 0 def. by Weston Workers FC 1
Sun 10 May 2:30 PM
Cooks Square Park
Match of the Round

James Monie came into the starting lineup for the Bears to replace the suspended Rob McBeth, and Garry McDermott returned to replace the absent Jason Cowburn.

It was McDermott who almost opened the scoring as he broke free onto a bouncing ball in the 14th minute. His chipped volley sailed over Maitland keeper Ben Kelly’s head, but onto the roof of the net.

McDermott managed to have a hand in the match’s only goal. In the 22nd minute he struck a shot from inside the 18 yard box. His attempt was miscued, however Troy Hearfield pounced, heading the lose ball into the top right hand corner past Kelly.

Weston took the 1-0 lead into half time, defending superbly for the remainder of the first stanza.


Lambton Jaffas FC 2 drew Broadmeaow Magic FC 2
Sat 9 May 2:30 PM
Arthur Edden Oval

There was only one match played on Saturday in Round 5, and that was a blockbuster 2013 Grand Final rematch between Lambton Jaffas and Broadmeadow Magic at Arthur Edden Oval.

The first half produced the majority of the action as it witnessed all four of the games goals.

The scoring got under way as Daniel Casciaroli accidently turned the ball into his own net after a cross came in from the Jaffas’ left hand side.

Mike Finlayson then capitalised on an error from Grand Brown, by intercepting and firing a long-range effort into the net.

Peter Haynes then won a penalty after being fouled in the box by Brad Swancott, which he converted to put the away side in the lead.


Adamstown Rosebud FC 0 def. by Edgeworth FC 2
Sun 10 May 2:30 PM
Adamstown Oval

The second fixture on Sunday afternoon witnessed Adamstown and Edgeworth going head to head at Adamstown Oval.

The Buds were without Stu Musialik and Roger Dowdell with injury, but were otherwise at full strength.

The Eagles were without Aiden Bryce through suspension, however welcomed back their key man Dylan Holtz who sustained a hamstring injury in Round 1.

The biggest talking point of the first half was a disallowed goal for the home side, just short of the 20 minute mark, after the referee ruled a handball occurred.


Newcastle Jets Youth 3 def. Charlestown City Blues FC 1
Sun 10 May 2:30 PM
Lisle Carr Oval

The Newcastle Jets Youth and Charlestown entered their Round 5 match at Lisle Carr Oval aware that a win would keep them inside the top four, or enter the top four respectively.

Both sides had a number of players out, however that did not take anything away from the match which was a competitive affair.

Radovan Pavicevic opened the scoring for the Jets Youth giving them a vital lead as they went in search for their second win of the season.

A Nick Cowburn own goal got the home side back into the game however, leveling the scores up to 1-1.


South Cardiff FC 2 def. by Hamilton Olympic FC 5
Sun 10 May 2:30 PM
Ulinga Oval

The final match of Round 5 was by far the most interesting as South Cardiff took on Hamilton Olympic at home in a seven goal thriller.

The Gunners were without four regular starters in Nathan Steven, Lee Ashton, Sean Clerke and Matt Grey, whereas Hamilton enjoyed the luxury of having a full squad to choose from after Kyle Hodges returned from injury in a 2-2 draw against Adamstown midweek.

It was the home side who took the lead, as central defender Matt Darr turned in a corner to make the score 1-0.

Half an hour into the match Olympic equalised, as Clayton Stocker deflected in a Kane Goodchild strike for his first of two own goals.

The 1-1 score line remained until half time, and the second half produced an astonishing five goals.


Click here for the full match reports.