PS4 NPL NNSW Review: Round 2

The PlayStation 4 National Premier Leagues Round 2 Match of the Round saw Maitland FC demolished by Broadmeadow Magic in the Magpies’ first home game in the top flight in twelve years.

Maitland FC 1 def. by Broadmeadow Magic FC 5
Sun 19 Apr 2:30 PM
Cooks Square Park
Match of the Round

There was a battle within the war in this clash, as Dino Fajkovic and Dennis Fajkovic came up against one and other after many seasons of standing side by side for the likes of South Cardiff and Lambton Jaffas.

Maitland were unlucky not to be ahead early in the match as Magic keeper Nathan Archbold pulled of a brilliant save, diving to his left to keep out a Harry McGuire strike from distance.

The sides looked set to go into half time at 0-0, however Dino Fajkovic opened the  scoring in the 40th minute, slotting a one on one from a tight angle after a good run down the left hand side.

He completed a quick-fire double moments later with a great strike from outside the 18 yard box.


Hamilton Olympic FC 2 def. Edgeworth FC 0
Sun 19 Apr 2:30 PM
Darling Street Oval

Hamilton welcomed high flyers Edgeworth to Darling Street Oval in their first home match of the PS4 National Premier Leagues season.

The Eagles began the match in soaring form after a 4-0 Round 1 win over Charlestown and a 5-0 mid week FFA Cup win over South Cardiff.

They could have led early in the piece, however a Brody Taylor strike from close range could only find the side netting.

After a frustrating 0-0 draw in the opening round Hamilton were looking for their first goal of the season, and it came in the 20th minute as Simon Mooney pounced on a loose ball to slot home into an empty net, after Kane Goodchild had a one on one saved by Eagles keeper Jim Fogarty.

Jason Korotkich doubled the home side’s lead with a wonder strike, volleying a neat chip from 30 metres out that sailed over Fogarty and into the back of the net.


Charlestown City Blues FC 4 def. Adamstown Rosebud FC 2
Sun 19 Apr 2:30 PM
Lisle Carr Oval

Charlestown City Blues hosted Adamstown for the second time in five days at Lisle Carr Oval yesterday.

The home side entered the round in last position after being thumped 4-0 by Edgeworth in Round 1, so a win was the only acceptable outcome in this fixture.

Veteran striker Scott Smith opened the scoring for the Blues, before Ben Hughes doubled the home side’s advantage to put them in the box seat.

Charlestown went into the half time break with a 2-0 lead, leaving them extremely confident they would pick up all three points.

Their cause was helped just after half time as Daniel Bird scored the side’s third.


Weston Workers FC 2 def. Lambton Jaffas FC 1
Sun 19 Apr 2:30 PM
Rockwell Automation Park

In a huge Grand Final rematch Weston Workers took on the Lambton Jaffas on their home turf, looking for their first win of the 2015 season.

The first real chance in the match came in the eleventh minute, as striker John Majurovski fired a free kick into a strong Bears wall from just outside the 18 yard box.

The Jaffas opened the scoring through a brilliant piece of play in the 21st minute. Majurovski picked out the lone Jaffa, Luke Remington, in the box with a pinpoint cross, and then an exquisite touch from Remington teed up Alex Palozzi just outside the 18 yard box who drove a thunderbolt into the bottom right hand corner.

In the 27th minute Tim Pratt denied Riley McNaughton from close range, and it turned out to be a crucial save as the Bears immediately launched an attack that saw them equalize through Rob McBeth.

The 1-1 score line remained for the rest of the first half, and at the break it looked as though the three points would go to whichever side could be more clinical in the second stanza.


South Cardiff FC 3 drew Newcastle Jets Youth 3
Sun 19 Apr 2:30 PM
Ulinga Oval Fantastic

The final game of Round 2 of the PS4 National Premier Leagues was contested at Ulinga Oval, as South Cardiff welcomed the Newcastle Jets Youth.

Both sides were desperate for a win, as the Gunners picked up a point in Round 1,  and the Jets Youth went down.

The opening goal of the game came for the Jets Youth through Radovan Pavicevic who capitalised on a Gunner defensive error.

Sean Clearke equalised for the home side but goals to Ryan Ensor and Jake Adelson saw the Jets Youth go into the break with a 3-1 advantage.

Chances were plenty in the second half, however the score remained 3-1 after the first 25 minutes.

Gunners striker Mitch Wallace scored the first goal of the second half, with just under 20 minutes to go, putting the Gunners right back in the contest.


Click here for full details on all of the weekend's matches.