PS4 NPL NNSW Review: Round 17

The PlayStation 4 NPL Northern NSW Match of the Round took place at Rockwell Automation Park, as the home side Weston gave up their fourth spot to their opponents, Broadmeadow Magic.

Weston Workers FC 0 def. by Broadmeadow Magic FC 1
Sun 9 August 2:30 PM
Rockwell Automation Park
Match of the Round

Both sides went in to the match minus one or more key players. Jamie Subat, who had a hand in two goals in the Bears’ Round 8 win over Magic was missing, suspended due to too many yellow cards, while Magic were without the suspended Mike Finlayson and Scott Petit.

Each knew that a win would see them finish the round in the top four, and there was no extra motivation required for this match.

The game got off to a flying start, with both sides pushing to create an early chance. In just the sixth minute Magic almost took the lead as a mistake from Bears left back Wilson Edwards gifted Magic midfielder Callan Lewis with a chance. His volleyed attempt from just outside the six-yard box went inches wide as it crashed into the side netting.

Just after the half hour mark Dino Fajkovic missed the best chance of the first half, putting a Kale Bradbury cross wide in front of an open goal from just metres out, but in fairness his vision was blocked by several defenders and he saw the ball late.

In the thirty-seventh minute Fajkovic squandered another chance, this time heading over the cross bar from inside the six yard box from a pin point Lewis cross from the right.

In the forty-fifth minute Peter Haynes sent in a long-range free kick from the left that cannoned off the post and back out, however it would not have counted as the offside flag was up.

Weston’s best chance of the half came early as Nathan Archbold was forced to produce a spectacular save from a powerful Garry McDermott volley.

They went into half time locked at 0-0.


Newcastle Jets Youth 4 drew Edgeworth FC 4
Sat 8 August 2:30 PM
Jack McLaughlin Oval

In the only match played on Saturday in the NNSW NPL the Jets Youth and league Leaders Edgeworth took place in a fascinating match, which produced eight goals in ping pong-like fashion.

Edgeworth entered the match aware that a win would almost guarantee them the Premiership, as they led second placed Hamilton by three points going into the round.

The Jets recorded a 4-0 win over Charlestown during the week, and were desperate to continue this form into the second last game of what has been a disappointing season for them.

Both sides pushed for the opening goal, however the score remained 0-0 after twenty-five minutes in a tight encounter.

The home side got off to the better start, with Aiden Bryce opening the scoring in the twenty-eight minute.

Radovan Pavicevic equalized in the thirty-fifth minute to make the score 1-1, however Edgeworth’s lead was restored as Luke Walker scored just a minute later.

Five minutes before the break the Jets got the score back even, as Braedyn Crowley made it 2-2, which it remained at halftime.


Maitland FC 1 def. by Lambton Jaffas FC 2
Sun 9 August 2:30 PM
Cook Square Park

Maitland hosted their final home game of the 2015 season on Sunday afternoon, as the highflying Lambton Jaffas looked to pick up their tenth win of the season at Cook Square Park.

The Magpies began the round three points ahead of last placed South Cardiff. A win would almost guarantee them safety from relegation, however the task at hand would require a huge effort.

With the league leaders Edgeworth drawing with the Jets a day prior to this match the Jaffas entered the match aware that a win would take them to three points of first, and if results go their way in Round 18 they could finish the season as Premiers.

The game got off to a slow start as both sides struggled to make the most of the poor playing surface at Cook Square Park.

It was the Jaffas who struck first however, midway through the first half as John Majurovski produced a trademark chest and volley, with his right foot that flew past Benn Kelly to send the Jaffas into half time ahead 1-0.

Two minutes into the second half Kelly became the victim of the bumpy conditions, as a simple back pass to him bobbled over his foot and rolled into the back of the net to give the Jaffas a 2-0 lead.


Charlestown City Blues FC 1 def. by Hamilton Olympic FC 5
Sun 9 August 2:30 PM
Lisle Carr Oval

Charlestown City Blues also hosted their last home game of the season yesterday afternoon, welcoming the in-form side of the competition at the present, Hamilton Olympic.

The Blues began the match in eight spot, aware a win would ensure them safety from relegation, and knowing they would need to put in a huge performance to get the three points.

Hamilton began the match in second, having scored fifteen goals in the three previous games, and knowing a win would send them into Round 18 just one point behind Edgeworth.

Twenty minutes into the game there was still no score, as Charlestown began the match extremely well, matching the favourites in every department.

In the twenty-fourth minute Hamilton went up 1-0 with a touch of good luck, as a Charlestown clearance struck the back of Kane Goodchild and made it’s way into the back of the net.

Eleven minutes later Simon Mooney produced another piece of magic to add to his brilliant 2015 season, smashing an absolute bomb into the top corner from the corner of the eighteen yard box.

The away side went into the break ahead 2-0 however Charlestown played well in the first stanza and were a huge chance to grab a point or three.


South Cardiff FC 1 def. by Adamstown Rosebud FC 3
Sun 9 August 2:30 PM
Ulinga Oval

The final match of Round 17 of the NNSW NPL saw the last placed South Cardiff Gunners face Adamstown Rosebud.

The Rosebud entered the round in sixth where they were guaranteed to finish this season. The Gunners needed a win or a draw for any real chance at escaping relegation and once again feature in the NPL next season.

Adamstown struck first, fifteen minutes into the match, as Dane Pawlick struck a thunderous shot past Gunners keeper Tom Pullin, although Callum Gallagher claimed the goal suggesting he got a touch on the ball, causing a light hearted debate between the pair who the goal should go to.

The Rosebud took this 1-0 lead into the break, extremely confident that they would go on to win the match.


Click here for a full match report from all of the weekend's matches.