PS4 NPL NNSW Review: Round 12

In the PlayStation® 4 NPL Northern NSW Round 12 Match of the Round Edgeworth Eagles returned to Jack McLaughlan Oval after their win over Broadmeadow, this week welcoming Hamilton Olympic.

Edgeworth FC 3 def. Hamilton Olympic FC 1
Sun 5 July 2:45 PM
Jack McLaughlan Oval
Match of the Round

Both sides entered the match aware that a win would see them end the second third of the 2015 competition as leaders, which would give them great momentum in the final six matches of the season.

After a slow opening 15 minutes the match came to life with a bizarre goal. Brody Taylor struck the right post with a strong left foot strike, and the ball rebounded to Keanu Moore. Moore’s shot from close range bounced off the left post, and by that stage Olympic keeper Danny Ireland was left on the ground stranded, as the ball fell to the feet of Ayden Brice for the easiest of tap ins into an empty net to make the score 1-0.

The home side doubled their advantage in the 33rd minute after a brilliant spin and outside of the foot pass from Bren Hammel saw Taylor unleash another cracking strike which flew into the bottom left hand corner.

Edgeworth took the 2-0 lead into the break, cruising as Hamilton struggled to get out of first gear.


Lambton Jaffas FC 4 def. Weston Workers FC 3
Sat 4 July 2:30 PM
Arthur Edden Oval

The first match of Round 12 took place on Saturday afternoon at Arthur Edden Oval, and it was the perfect start as it produced a seven goal thriller with an interesting twist.

Lambton and Weston entered the match fourth and third respectively aware that a win could see them finish the round in second place. Neither could fall out of the top four, however a win would do wonders in terms of a Premiership push.

Weston started the better of the two sides, dominating the Jaffas with intensity and physicality that the home side simply could not match.


South Cardiff FC 1 def. by Newcastle Jets Youth 2
Sat 4 July 2:30 PM
Ulinga Oval

The second of the two Saturday afternoon matches in Round 12 saw the second clash of the year between South Cardiff and Newcastle Jets Youth at Ulinga Oval.

The Gunners entered the match on the back of seven losses, and the Jets on the back of six, and combined this year the pair had conceded a massive 58 out of the 198 2015 PS4 NPL goals going into Round 12.

The Jets began the more positive of the two sides, with two goals inside the opening 25 minutes seeing them race to a 2-0 lead.

Defender Caio De Godoy opened the scoring in the 20th minute of the match, and then Braedyn Crowley doubled the away side’s advantage in the 25th.

The Gunners replied with a goal of their own as Phil Buras nodded down a cross for Sean Clerke who found the back of Jesse Cook’s net.

Neither side could add to the score line in the remaining 15 minutes of the half, and the Jets went into the break with a 2-1 lead.


Adamstown Rosebud FC 0 def. by Charlestown City Blues FC 1
Sun 5 July 2:30 PM
Adamstown Oval

The second of three Sunday afternoon matches saw the Adamstown Rosebud welcome the Charlestown City Blues to Adamstown Oval.

The Buds were desperate for a win which would have landed them within three points of the top four, but were taking on a side who had already beat them this year, convincingly 4-2 in Round 2.

The Blues got off to a flying start as Scott Smith put the visitors ahead in the 12th minute of play.

Neither side could add to the score line in the first half, and the Blues took the 1-0 lead into the break.

Adamstown pushed for an equaliser in the second half, and whilst they were creating plenty of chances they could not convert them into goals.

The Blues held on, still leading 1-0 at the full time whistle, picking up a very well needed three points.


Broadmeadow Magic FC 3 def. Maitland FC 0
Sun 5 July 2:30 PM
Magic Park

The final match of Round 12 saw Maitland travel to Magic Park, looking to score their third win in a row after a slow start to the season.

The home side, Broadmeadow Magic, were searching for their first win in five matches after a superb start to the season.

The first half was a tight affair, with the best chance of the first 44 minutes a Matt Thompson header that was cleared off the line.

The sides looked set to go into the break locked at 0-0, until Maitland skipper Blake Thompson took down Dino Fajkovic in the box, gifting Magic a penalty.

Peter Haynes stepped up to the spot and buried the chance, and Magic took a 1-0 lead into half time.


Click here for a full rundown of all the weekend's matches.