PS4 NPL NNSW Review: Round 11

Broadmeadow Magic and Edgeworth Eagles contested a cracking affair at Magic Park in the PlayStation® 4 NPL Northern NSW Round 11 Match of the Round.

Broadmeadow Magic FC 1 def. by Edgeworth Eagles FC 2
Sun 28 June 2:30 PM
Magic Park
Match of the Round

Many viewed this match as the unofficial State Cup Final after both sides qualified for the Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32 the weekend prior, and it was a match worthy of a final as both teams played with intensity and composure in an intriguing 90 minutes of football.

Both sides were welcoming back their captains as Peter Haynes returned to PS4 NPL action after missing the Olympic derby, and Luke Walker played his first game in 2015 for the Eagles.

Edgeworth had the first major chance in the game when they were awarded a penalty after Josh Piddington collected Keanu Moore in the box. Bren Hammel’s shot from the spot was destined for the bottom right hand corner, however Magic keeper Nathan Archbold brilliantly saved the shot with an outstretched glove.


Hamilton Olympic FC 2 drew Adamstown Rosebud FC 2
Sun 28 June 2:30 PM
Darling Street Oval

In a huge clash that could be labeled the second Match of the Round for Round 11, Hamilton Olympic welcomed Adamstown Rosebud to Darling Street Oval.

The Rosebud entered the match depleted, missing a number of first grade players, most notably Garry Kenneth who has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2015 season.

Hamilton Olympic have been in hot form this season, undefeated and having won their last five matches going into this one, and it was they who struck first as Jacob Bailey put the home side ahead just after the half hour mark. Scott Carter under hit a clearance at the edge of his 18 yard box that fell to Bailey 35 metres out, who shot first time, lobbing Carter and making the score 1-0.

Adamstown hit back just a minute before half time as Nick Bale scored to send the sides into half time locked at 1-1.


Newcastle Jets Youth 0 def. by Maitland FC 1
Sun 28 June 2:30 PM
Cook Square Park

The third match of Round 11 in the PS4 NPL saw the Newcastle Jets Youth travel to Maitland to take on the Magpies in a must win game for both sides.

Maitland required a win to keep their slim hopes of making the finals alive, but more importantly to move away from Charlestown and South Cardiff in the relegation battle.

The Jets had lost their last five in a row so a win was certainly needed to get their season back on track after a positive start in the opening five weeks.

The Jets dominated possession in the first half, however Maitland produced the better of the chances.

Late in the first half it was still locked at 0-0, until Matt Thompson stood up for the home side, and put them ahead with a quality finish.


Charlestown City Blues FC 1 def. by Lambton Jaffas FC 3
Sun 28 June 2:30 PM
Lisle Carr Oval

Charlestown City hosted Lambton Jaffas yesterday afternoon in a vital match for both sides at Lisle Carr Oval. Charlestown have been battling at the bottom of the table for the majority of the season, so three points would take them possibly four points clear of tenth position.

The Jaffas have recently entered the top four, and are on a very good run, so a win was important to continue their form and see them stay in the top four for another week.

The away side started the better of the two sides, going ahead from the spot as Riley McNaughton calmly converted a penalty that he won himself.

Lambton looked strong in the first half but could not find another goal, taking the 1-0 lead into the break, leaving the match wide open and there for the taking for both sides.


Weston Workers FC 1 def. South Cardiff FC 0
Sun 28 June 2:30 PM
Rockwell Automation Park

The final match of Round 11 of the PS4 NPL saw Weston Bears welcome South Cardiff to Rockwell Automation Park. Both sides went into the match missing a number of key players. The Bears were without James Monie, Rob Macbeth, Jamie Subat and Paul Clout, whereas the Gunners were still missing Dean Kelley, Matt Grey and Mitch Wallace.

The sides both pushed hard in the opening half four the game’s first goal, however both defences, more importantly the keepers, Tom Pullin of South Cardiff and Tim Pratt of Weston, were doing a fine job of keeping their opposition at bay.

The second half saw much of the same. Both sides were pushing for that crucial goal however neither could find it.

That was until the 78th minute when Weston’s Troy Hearfield received a brilliant cross from Garry McDermott, and superbly placed it into the back of the Gunners’ net to make the score 1-0 to the home side.


Click here for a full rundown of the weekend's matches.