PS4 NPL Capital Football Round 7 Review

Belconnen United continued where they left off midweek in the Westfield FFA Cup by comfortably turning over Gungahlin United 4-0 at McKellar Park.

Saturday 14th May
Belconnen United 4 (Jason Ugrinic 41’, 58’, Jonathan Reis 53’, Aisosa Ihegie 90’) Gungahlin United 0
(McKellar Park)

In-form forward Jason Ugrinic led the way with a brace to take his season tally to nine as the Blue Devils overcame a lethargic first half performance to claim the points.

Ugrinic, fresh off six goals in the last two matches for his club, went closest for the home team in the opening stages as he burst down the right wing and cut inside but his shot was tame and rolled harmlessly through to Josh Lagudah in the Gungahlin goal. At the other end Jason O’Dwyer whistled a half volley just past the post and Marcial Munoz had an effort that flew over but, in truth, neither shot particularly troubled Adam Perakovic.

The structure, and defensive set-up of Gungahlin, was proving to be difficult for the Blue Devils to break down with the width that they usually put on their game negated by the hard work of the Gunners midfield that closed down the angles well and hustled and harried their opponents when in possession. Gunners employed a fluid formation that appeared to be without a centre-forward of note as O’Dwyer, Nathan Duck and Alex Moscaritolo flittered between roles.


Sunday 15th May
Canberra FC 2 (Thomas James 68’ (pen), Domenic Giampaolo 78’) Tigers FC 3 (Stephen Domenici 45’ (pen), Dejan Santrac 52’, Nicolas Abot 76’)
(Deakin Stadium)

Tigers FC remained clear at the top of the table after passing yet another litmus test of their championship credentials as they stormed Deakin Stadium emerging on the right side of a five-goal score-line with Nicolas Abot’s strike ensuring a 3-2 win for Gaby Wilk’s title-chasers.

Two teams with genuine chances of claiming silverware this season turned out a forgettable half of football during the opening forty-five minutes with the swirling wind, constantly changing direction, making it difficult for both sides to string together their creative ability in the final third. The Tigers fired the first effort in anger but Daniel Barac scuffed a half-volley wide when well-placed.

That precipitated the best two chances of the afternoon for Canberra FC with the home side cracking the Tigers offside trap twice in quick succession. Initially, Josip Jadric got goal-side of his marker but his first effort was blazed over the bar and, shortly afterwards, Thomas James was unlucky to see his goalbound effort blocked by defender Milan Popovich after excellent approach work from Jadric.


Tuggeranong United 3 (Marco Gayer 41’, Andrew Slavich 56’, Caleb Brown 78’ (og)) Woden-Weston FC 1 (Goran Milutinovic 66’)
(Kambah 2)

Tuggeranong United picked up their second win of the PlayStation® 4 National Premier Leagues: Canberra as they shrugged off Woden-Weston 3-1 at Kambah on Sunday. Richy Hurtado-Lora was sent off just after the half-hour mark for unsportsmanlike conduct for Woden-Weston, and the visitors struggled to maintain a presence in the game from then on. With few good chances for either side for most of the first half, it was Tuggeranong that struck first through Marco Gayer.

Gayer picked up the ball just outside the box, before cutting onto his left foot and rifling a flat drive into the bottom corner, with Kris Trajanoski well beaten in the visiting goal. With only one goal separating the sides at the break, Woden-Weston were still in the contest, but struggled after the break as the home side came out firing. Six minutes in Aaron Cashman hit the left upright with a wicked curling strike, and it was a sign of things to come as Tuggies extended their lead five minutes later.


Canberra Olympic 5 (Jordan Tsekenis 17’ (pen), Philippe Bernabo-Madrid 30’, 90+2’ (pen), Nathen Megic 35’, Michael Reeve 48) CU Academy 0
(O’Connor Enclosed)

Canberra Olympic continued on its winning way with a comprehensive 5-0 win over CU Academy at O’Connor Enclosed on Sunday afternoon. In blustery conditions the hosts came to terms with the conditions best and their overall quality proved too much for the visitors. 

That is not to say that the Academy didn't have their chances. Sam Whithear upfront had two great chances early but was unable to capitalise. The first followed a lovely turn on the edge of the box that left the Olympic defence stranded but his tame finish did not match the earlier movement. Then he picked the pocket of Olympic keeper Angelo Konstantinou before under hitting his finish and allowing the defence time to get back and clear off the line. Daniel Fabrizio also threatened with a spectacular overhead kick that sailed just wide of the Olympic post. 

The breakthrough for Olympic came seventeen minutes in courtesy of a spot kick conceded when Michael Reeve was upended following a great run down the left that saw three Academy defenders in his wake. Jordan Tsekenis stepped up and had no trouble placing his firm shot passed Sam Brown in the Academy goal. 


Monaro Panthers 3 (Ed McCarthy 14’, Joel King 45’ (og), Darian McGarry-Watson 73’) FFA COE 1 (Mark Moric 90’)
(Riverside Stadium)

Monaro Panthers showed their claws as they sunk the FFA COE 3-1 at the Riverside stadium on Sunday afternoon to move into sixth place on the ladder, joining level with Tuggeranong United and trailing their rivals only on goal difference.

The Panthers were in top form and made life difficult for their visitors on a blustery and wind-swept afternoon in Queanbeyan. Taking the game to the FFA COE the home side were in front before the quarter hour. Ed McCarthy has enjoyed a decent season to date and he was on hand to notch his third goal of the season to open the scoring, cutting inside to sweep a shot into the far corner.

It was just reward for the Panthers for an enterprising start in which they created the better opportunities. It didn’t take long for the visiting team to get back into the contest and they proceeded to dominate possession but without cracking the fiercely resistant Panthers defence. Reduced to shots from range the FFA COE failed to test Nathan Alferink in the Panthers goal sufficiently.


CLICK HERE for a full report from Round 7.