PS4 NPL Capital Football Round 3 Review

Tigers FC have gone to the top of PlayStastion 4 NPL Capital Football after hard fought win over Canberra Olympic.

Saturday 16th April 2016
FFA COE 2 (Mirza Muratovic 23’, Rahmat Akbari 86’) Gungahlin United 1 (Nathan Duck 90+3’)|

FFA COE claimed their second home win of the season as they defeated Gungahlin United 2-1 at the Australian Institute of Sport on Saturday afternoon. The FFA side were worthy winners, despite ending the game with ten men following the dismissal of Luke Callen for receiving two yellow cards in the second half.

The first chance of the game came early as FFA COE midfielder Marc Tokich was worked into space by Jaidon Seldon and, when his shot was half blocked, it fell kindly to Bryce Bafford but, under pressure, he couldn’t get enough in the shot to trouble Jason Denham in the Gungahlin goal. 


Belconnen United 0 Canberra FC 1 (Domenic Giampaolo 77’)
(McKellar Park)

A goal from Domenic Giampaolo 13 minutes from time gave Canberra FC a 1-0 success over Belconnen United at McKellar Park. Giampaolo struck from a rebound, after his penalty was saved, to seal the win that, on the balance of play, they probably deserved. 

There was nothing to choose between the teams in the first half with defences on top and both midfields fighting hard for possession in what was a fierce battle that kept the decent sized crowd on its toes. Chances however were slim with Belconnen reduced to sporadic efforts from distance whilst the visitors, arguably, created the better opportunities. 


Sunday 17th April 2016
Monaro Panthers 1 (Mark Shields 39’ (pen)) Tuggeranong United 1 (Emilio Kista 76’)
(Riverside Stadium)

Monaro Panthers and Tuggeranong United shared the spoils in a keenly fought 1-1 draw at the Riverside Stadium. Mark Shields first-half penalty gave Panthers the lead only for Emilio Kista to level with a header with 14 minutes to play. The early exchanges were bitty as both sides struggled to come to terms with the difficult playing surface and neither side fashioned a real opening in the first quarter of the match.

Young Daniel Felizzi was a constant menace on the right flank with his pace causing the United defence problems whilst, for Tuggeranong, the strong running Marco Gayer appeared their most likely outlet. A long throw from Sean Kiddey created the first half-chance as the ball fell nicely for Sam Shadbolt, but his effort was blocked by the covering Panthers defence. 


Canberra Olympic 0 Tigers FC 1 (Alex Oloriegbe 70’)
(O’Connor Enclosed)

Jacob Cole proved to be the Tigers FC hero in a hard fought battle with Olympic at O’Connor. His penalty save from Philippe Bernabo-Madrid at 0-0 was decisive and preceded by moments Alex Oloriegbe's second half winner. 

In a game between two of the favourites for this seasons competition a single goal was always going to be difficult to overcome and so it proved. The first half was reasonably benign compared to the fireworks of the second. Tigers FC probably shaded possession but apart from a menacing right foot curling effort from Steven Domenici, expertly tipped over by the outstanding Konstantinou in goal, had little to show for it. In fact Olympic had the better of the chances. 


CLICK HERE for a full match report from all of the Round 3 matches.