PS4 NPL Capital Football Round 17 Review

Tigers FC can smell the PS4 NPL Capital Football title after a champion display in which they accounted for rivals Belconnen United 4-1 at McKellar Park.

Saturday 6th August
Belconnen United 1 (Aisosa Ihegie 39’) Tigers FC 4 (Stephen Domenici 15’, Julian Borgna 60’, 76’, Hussein Fureje 67’)
(McKellar Park)

Tigers FC can smell the PlayStation® 4 National Premier Leagues Canberra title after a champion display in which they accounted for rivals Belconnen United 4-1 at McKellar Park. A double from Julian Borgna, added to goals from Stephen Domenici and Hussein Fureje, have the Tigers in pole position at the summit of the league table.

The Tigers were first to strike when Golden Boot leader Domenici pounced on a poor defensive error to rifle home his 23rd goal of the season past young goalkeeper Ben Jackson, who may have done better with his decision making in the build-up to the goal. And Domenici possibly should have scored again later in the half after he brushed off a challenge and clipped the ball over Jackson, who was rescued by the retreating Matt Valeri who cleared off the line.

At the other end Jason Ugrinic may have done better than drag his shot woefully wide and David Kemp went close with a shot that rolled agonisingly across the face of goal after excellent approach work. Both sides had half chances to keep the scoreboard ticking over but it was the Blue Devils who would equalise six minutes before the half-time interval with a well-crafted goal.


Sunday 7th August
Tuggeranong United 3 (Aiodan Beatman 33’, Andrew Slavich 47’, 52’) Gungahlin United 0
(AIS Grass 4)

By Ahmed Jbeili

Tuggeranong United FC defeated Gungahlin United FC at the AIS grass fields on Sunday afternoon in one of their best performances of the season with a 3-0 victory. Thanks to a goal from Aiodan Beatman and a double from Andrew Slavich, the away side dominated the entire matchup and were just too good in the end.

Both sides were coming into Matchday 17 of the PlayStation® 4 National Premier League coming off losses and the victors Tuggeranong will be happy they are back on winning ways after doing it tough the last few weeks.  Tuggeranong took control early in the first half and really should’ve had two goals in the first ten minutes. Chances for attackers Nikolaos Kalfas and Emilio Kista almost gave the away side an early lead if it wasn’t for some last ditch saves by Gunners keeper Jason Denham.


Monaro Panthers 4 (Martin Deng 57’, Tony Spaseski 83’, Ohio Asikhia 84’, Thomas Hewitt 88’) CU Academy 6 (David Carder 16’, 45’, Joshua Gulevski 19’, Lachlan Griffiths 40’, Bul Juach 70’, Jarrad Bain 90’ (og))
(Riverside Stadium)

CU Academy survived a late Monaro Panthers onslaught to claim an amazing 6-4 victory at the Riverside Stadium. The home team scored three times in the final seven minutes to give themselves a sniff of a remarkable comeback after trailing 5-1, but a last minute own goal scuppered their hopes.

There was little indication of the drama to come as the Academy dominated the opening stages of the match and were comfortably in control of proceedings by the half-time whistle. The visiting team got off to a flier as they took the lead in the 16th minute as David Carder opened the scoring. Just three minutes later it was 2-0 when Joshua Gulevski netted his tenth of the season and the Academy were up and away.

Monaro were caught again five minutes before the break when Lachlan Griffiths made it 3-0 with a coolly taken finish, and when Carder bagged his second on the stroke of half-time to make it four, the gig was as good as up for the Panthers. Or so we thought. A stern talking to at the interval precipitated a magnificent response late on.


Canberra Olympic 8 (Philippe Bernabo-Madrid 17’, 18’, 80’, 90+3’, Pat Ross-Magee 25’, Tom McLachlan 42’, Jordan Tsekenis 84’, Angelo Konstantinou 86’ (pen)) Woden-Weston FC 1 (Daniel Di-Salvatore 50’)
(O’Connor Enclosed)

By William Bremner

Canberra Olympic kept the pressure on league leaders Cooma Tigers and did their goal difference no harm in thrashing Woden-Weston FC 8-1 at O’Connor Enclosed on Sunday afternoon. Phillipe Bernabo-Madrid was chief destroyer with a four goal haul but he was ably supported by Pat Ross-Magee, Tom McLachlan, Jordan Tsekenis and goal keeper Angelo Konstantinou who all got on the score sheet 

The early moments left the neutral observer with the impression that a close competitive match might ensue as Woden-Weston FC competed well with the title chasers. Indeed they might have been the first on the score sheet as Jarryd Clifton beat the offside trap and raced toward goal only for his tame shot come cross to be easily dealt with by the retreating Olympic defence. 

Unfortunately that was about as good as it got for the visitors as the smooth Olympic machine clicked into gear. Bernabo-Madrid began the onslaught when he was challenged in the box by Ben Grieg and the ball skewed off both and into the bottom corner of the net. A minute later it was two and again Bernabo-Madrid proved to be the tormentor finishing off some slick passing. Ross-Magee made it three on 25 minutes lashing home from close range and you felt even at that early stage that the game was beyond Woden. The fourth before half time, courtesy of McLachlan, only confirmed that perception. 


Canberra FC 4 (Domenic Giampaolo 22’, Ryan Keir 29’, Thomas James 56’, 90+1’) FFA COE 3 (Mark Moric 8’, Mirza Muratovic 79’, Jacob Italiano 90+2’)
(Deakin Stadium)

Canberra FC did enough to claim the three points with a nerve-shredding 4-3 win over the FFA COE at Deakin Stadium, but were made to hang on for their win after being guilty of a number of glaring misses early on. The hosts, in reality, should have been out of sight way before the conclusion which saw both teams’ trade goals within seconds.

Thomas James should have given Canberra FC the lead in the opening seconds after the lively striker beat a frail looking FFA COE offside trap and advanced on goal. His finish lacked conviction however, a clipped shot over Jordan Griffiths in the FFA COE goal that was always drifting wide of the target.

Ivan Pavlak was next to have a go, his low drive turned around the post by the visiting goalkeeper, and Domenic Giampaolo wasted a one-on-one with a poor finish after excellent skill had created space in the area. Inevitably, the FFA COE made Canberra FC pay by scoring with their first clear opening, Mirza Muratovic squaring for Mark Moric to place a firm side-foot shot past Rory Larkin.


CLICK HERE for a full Round 17 review.