PS4 NPL Capital Football Review: Round 11

The FFA COE overturned a 0-2 deficit to triumph 5-3 in an exciting match with Tuggeranong United at the Australian Institute of Sport on Saturday afternoon.

Saturday 20th June
FFA COE 5 (Cameron Joice 41’, 62’, Nicholas Panetta 52’, 83’, Jackson Bandiera 61’) Tuggeranong United 3 (Zac Munster 13’, 70’, Sam Shadbolt 14’)

Tuggeranong had roared out of the blocks to lead by two goals by the fifteenth minute but the FFA COE hit back to stun the winless Tuggeranong and leave them rooted to the foot of the league table after the completion of Round 11.

United, searching for a first point of the season, couldn’t have asked for a better start as they took the game to the FFA and scored twice within sixty seconds in the 13th minute. Leading scorer Zac Munster opened the scoring for the visitors before Sam Shadbolt doubled the advantage moments later. That had the travelling United support in dreamland but the FFA COE area a well drilled outfit and refused to buckle.

Crucially they pulled one back just before the half-time break through Cameron Joice, leaving the match in the melting pot in the second stanza. And it didn’t take the hosts long to turn the match on its head. Nicholas Panetta has been in superb form this season and he levelled matters up just seven minutes into the second half.

Shortly after the FFA COE were ahead through Jackson Bandiera and when Joice scored his second a minute later the turnaround was complete. Tuggeranong showed their commendable fighting spirit by pulling one back through Zac Munster’s fifth of the season but a ninth of the year to Panetta secured three points for the FFA COE and puts them within touching distance of the top of the table once more. 


Sunday 21st June
Tigers FC 3 (Julian Borgna 41’, Alex Oloriegbe 51’, 56’) Monaro Panthers 1 (Tyson Cottam 30’)

Tigers FC moved to the top of the PlayStation 4® National Premier Leagues: Capital Football competition with a 3-1 win over Monaro Panthers at Nijong Oval on Sunday afternoon.

A double from the league’s leading scorer, Alex Oloriegbe, in the second half proved the difference between the sides in what was a tight match.

The visitors gave the championship chasing Tigers a real fright however and took the lead on the half hour after a bright and threatening opening. Mark Shields was heavily involved, aiming a shot at goal that he scuffed perfectly into the path of fellow striker Tyson Cottam who had the simple task of slotting past Francois Bangweni in the Tigers goal.

It appeared as if that would be anough for a half-time advantage but the Tigers had another idea and four minutes before the break they levelled. A cut back was met by the onrushing Julian Borgna and he duly swept the ball past Ashley Collins in the Monaro goal and into the bottom corner.

At 1-1 it was anyone’s game but the Tigers started the second half on fire and took the lead six minutes after the resumption. A swift break from the hosts resulted in Oloriegbe allowing the ball to run across his body before curling a shot beyond the diving Collins and into the bottom corner of the net. And the Golden Boot leader had his thirteenth of the season five minutes later in equally devastating fashion.

Borgna created it with a slide-rule pass that allowed Oloriegbe to tee up a shot and crash a shot into the net off the base of the post. Monaro tried to get back into the match and Shields was denied by an outstanding save from Bangweni as the Tigers held on to take over top spot on the ladder.


Click here for all of the details from both matches.