NPLWA Women's Finals Week One Wrap

Perth SC defeated Fremantle City 2-0 in the NPLWA - Women's Top Four Cup to advance to a midweek preliminary final against Northern Redbacks.

Sunday's result continued Perth's good form in the past month as they won a fifth successive match without conceding a goal, while Fremantle's third loss on the bounce ended their campaign.

The Azzurri were on the front foot from early in the game. Jaime Duncanson brought a good save from Dayle Schroeder then Gemma Craine tested the goalkeeper again from a tight angle.

It was goalless at the break with Perth keeper Rebecca Bennett not called upon to make a notable save, and the chances continued to fall Perth's way in the second half with Liana Cook and Duncanson going close.

Mikayla Lyons had a shot blocked by Natasha Tanner and Boyle forced Bennett into a fingertip save in City's best spell, but two Perth penalties in seven minutes turned the game on its head.

Cook was brought down by Schroeder for the first spot kick, with Duncanson planting the penalty high into the net for her 11th of the season.

Seven minutes later, Schroeder fouled Craine and the keeper was shown a second yellow card. This resulted in defender Isabelle Bridger being required to put the gloves on. This time Tessa De Leo stepped up to make it 2-0, as Perth got revenge for last season's 6-1 semi-final defeat and extended their campaign.

In the other women's semi-final, Murdoch University Melville defeated Northern Redbacks 3-2 in a repeat of last week's league title decider to book their spot in next Saturday's Top Four Cup final at Dorrien Gardens.

Mark Jones' side raced to two-goal lead at half-time last week and they hit the front again after just five minutes on Friday when Tia Stonehill collected Abbey Green's pass and slotted in.

Next Grace Betti netted for a third straight game when she emphatically finished from Marianna Tabain's pass and it was 3-0 when Stonehill looped in a header from Sadie Lawrence free-kick.

But just like last week, Carlos Vega Mena's side launched a comeback which ultimately fell short.

First Larissa Walsh lifted over the top for Sarah Carroll to poke past the goalkeeper, then Renee Leota stabbed home from Shawn Billam's cross with six minutes left. But Redbacks were unable to force extra time and they now meet Perth to try to book a spot in the final.


MUM FC 3-2 Northern Redbacks
Perth SC 2-0 Fremantle City

IMAGE: Rob Lizzi/Perth SC