NPL Queensland Round 11 Wrap

A number of sides managed to end losing streaks this weekend in National Premier Leagues Queensland Round 11 action.

A number of sides managed to end losing streaks this weekend in National Premier Leagues Queensland Round 11 action.

Palm Beach secured their eighth win of the season, beating Brisbane Roar NYL and ending their four match unbeaten streak 3-0 at Mallawa Complex, Gold Coast on Saturday afternoon.

A brace to Chris Lucas helped to keep Palm Beach one point clear at the top of the Ladder after 11 rounds.

The match started tentatively, both sides wary of their opponents, until rain just prior to the break slowed Roar-s passing game further.

Palm Beach sprung to life in the second half, with Daniel Dragicevic linking up with Riley Dillon at the near post to go ahead in the 50th minute.

Sharks doubled their lead five minutes later, Lucas initially denied from the spot, scoring with his second bite.

Roar Youth goalkeeper Fraser Chalmers was given his marching orders in the 71st minute and Palm Beach sealed the victory with the subsequent penalty, Lucas completing his brace.

The in form Lucas- second attempt at the penalty spot for the night took his personal tally to nine from their last three outings.

Moreton Bay Jets showed no mercy on Saturday, putting SWQ Thunder to the sword 9-0 at Wolter Park in Moreton Bay.

Stuck a point behind league leaders, Palm Beach, Jets did their best to help their already healthy goal diifferential pilling on six goals in the opening stanza.

Golden Boot leader, Royce Brownlie scored his first of four in the opening five minutes, poking the ball home after some sloppy defending.

That was a sign of things to come for SWQ, Charles Mendy and Jared Austin both managing doubles, while Jordan Farina got his first for the club in a relentless performance.

Brownlie has taken his golden boot tally to 18 from ten matches.

FNQFC captain Alex Smith was instrumental for his side on Saturday, scoring twice against Western Pride in their 3-1 victory at Port Douglas Sports Complex.

Western Pride travelled north full of confidence after last weeks win and started sharply.

Former Phoenix midfielder Smith opened the scoring in the 23rd minute with an easy tap in from Mgondisi Nkiwane-s cross.

Western Pride were quick to reply, creating a flurry of chances before restoring parity from the spot, after Aaron Christensen was brought down in the box in the 32nd minute.

After the break Pride continued to challenge, before Heat took control, finally breaching the defence in the 60th minute through a long range drive from Smith.

Both sides continued to challenge until heat sealed the victory in the 88th minute through Jamie Carroll. Brisbane Strikers ended a three match losing streak at the fate of Harimau Muda ‘A- 3-0 at Perry Park on Sunday.

Strikers came out of the blocks flying, hitting the lead six minutes in through Matt Thurtell who headed over the Malaysian Under 23-s goal keeper.

Strikers dominated proceedings for the majority of the first half, with Harimau Muda-s win in Townsville mid-week and hectic travel schedule taking its toll Harimau Muda were able to maintain long periods of possession in the second half but were unable to make it count.

Goals to Jackson Hall just after the break and to Jheison Macauce just before the final whistle sealed the much needed points for Strikers.

The win boosts Strikers up into 6th spot while Harimau Muda drop backa spot to seventh.

Across town an emphatic debut by 17-year-old Jayden Prasad wasn-t enough for Redlands United who shared the points in a 2-2 draw with Brisbane City at Spencer Park on Sunday.

Prasad scored a double in his first 45 minutes of senior football for Redlands, opening his account with a clinical volley seven minutes into the clash.

City drew level in the 22nd minute through captain Matt Biggins who headed Luca Jannese-s cross past United keeper Bradley Stout.

Prasad gave Redlands the lead once again in the 41st minute, showing composure in finishing a well worked move from Russell Woodruffe and Michael Lees.

Brisbane City controlled the majority of play during the second half, creating a number of chances, but the equaliser was still elusive.

Redlands looked to have secured the points, until at the death; City was able to snatch a share of the points.

Nicky Buckley volleyed a Ken Dougall cross at the back post in the 93rd minute to keep his side in seventh place on the league table, while the point keeps Redlands in fifth.

Sunshine Coast Fire have snapped their four match loosing streak winning 3-2 against the fast finishing Northern Fury in Townsville on Sunday.

Late goals to Braedyn Crowley and Joseph Thornton weren-t enough to keep Sunshine Coast from claiming their first points since March.

Fury started positively creating a few chances early, before Fire showed their intent, added two goals to the tally in five minutes.

Futa Nakamura opened the scoring in the eleventh minute, curving his shot into the bottom right corner.

Fury started to show the effects of their mid-week loss to Harimau Muda when Nakamura secured his second four minutes later, crisply finishing a well-timed Reyze Kelly cross.

The home side squandered a number of chances to reel in the eleventh placed Fire, while Sunshine Coast themselves were unable to extend their lead until the 65th minute when Chiharu Kosuge looked to have sealed the victory and the three points for Fire.

Fury gave the visitors a scare when they had a revival and added two goals in the final ten minutes, but time was against them and Sunshine Coast hung on to keep them in eleventh, while Fury drop back to 9th.

Olympic had the bye over the weekend.

Top spot will be up for grabs in round 12, as table toppers Moreton Bay Jets and Palm Beach Sharks are set to battle it out at Wolter Park in a certain Match of the Round.

Photo courtesy - Frank De Luca