NPL NSW Women's Round 8 Review

Well, after eight rounds, there are no remaining undefeated teams in the NPL NSW Women’s competition. 

APIA showed their power and dismantled the league leaders while Uni is showing all their strength with a fine victory away from home.

Manly is back on the winners wagon after a convincing victory, as is Olympic who scored four with Aimee Phillips in form.

The Institute continue their fine start to the season while the points were shared at North Turramurra.


APIA Leichhardt 4-2 Macarthur Rams 

APIA Leichhardt inflicted the Macarthur Rams with their first defeat in 2021 after a 4-2 victory Sunday night at Lambert Park.

They got off to a flyer, hitting the lead after only three minutes, taking the one goal lead into the break.

Lisa De Vanna doubled the lead two minutes after the break before Kylie Ledbrook received her marching orders for an off the ball incident.

Against the odds, Patty Charalambous brought the league leaders back in it but the home side struck back with two quick goals from De Vanna and Georgia Yeoman-Dale.

Leena Khamis scored a late consolation to round off the scoring.

The spectators hadn’t even settled in their seats when the home side hit the front.

Deborah-Anne De La Harpe found Sophie Hoban who turned and curled the ball past Khamis in the Rams goal.

Grace Maher then hit a stinging free kick, forcing Khamis to tip over the bar.

De Vanna then was next to test Khamis, cutting infield from the right and letting rip with her left.

The Rams thought they were level when Leena Khamis headed home after a Lauren Keir free kick, only for the assistant referee’s flag to be raised.

Much like the start of the game, the second began the same way, with APIA scoring early.

This time two minutes in De La Harpe and De Vanna pounced on a Rams defensive error as the Matilda De Vanna expertly finished beyond Khamis.

De La Harpe could’ve made it 3-0 only a minute later but her shot was comfortably saved.

And things went from bad to worse 60 seconds later as Kylie Ledbrook saw red for an off the ball incident.

Macarthur re-grouped though and almost halved the deficit through Laura Murtagh but Sophie Magus pulled off a top draw save.

Shortly later, it was 2-1.

Patty Charalambous found herself getting onto the end of a fine header from Khamis, riffling home a volley beyond Magus.

Another defensive error, this time by captain Renee Rollason was pounced on by Georgia Yeoman-Dale who moved in on Khamis, forcing the keeper into a save, only for De Vanna to secure her brace, tapping home the rebound.

Eight-minutes from the end the points were safe as Yeoman-Dale made it 4-1 in style.

Played through by De Vanna, Yeoman-Dale chipped a stranded Sham Khamis to extend APIA’s lead further.

With only minutes remaining, Charalambous forced Magus into a save before Leena Khamis volleyed home the consolation.


Illawarra Stingrays 2-4 Sydney University 

At JJ Kelly Park, Sydney University registered a massive three points, defeating the Illawarra Stingrays 4-2.

Sarah Morgan put Uni in front with a left foot belter from some way out, catching everyone off guard.

Only a minute later and Michelle Carney had the Stingrays level from the penalty spot.

15 minutes into the second half and Kaitlyn Torpey put Uni back in front after the away time took a quick free kick.

Not long after, substitute Holly Caspers made it 3-1 after another quick counter attack caught the Stingrays out.

Again though, the Stingrays clawed their way back into the game as Talitha Kramer poked the ball home.

Torpey had her second though and settled the results with a fourth 15 minutes from full time.

Sheridan Gallagher received her second yellow card in the dying stages of the match for the Stingrays.


Manly United 4-1 Emerging Jets 

Manly United finally broke their winless run with a 4-1 win against the Emerging jets at Cromer Park.

But it was the away side that stunned Manly with a sensational strike from Milan Hammond to take the lead.

Emily Minnett had Manly level just before the break, volleying home from inside the box.

15 minutes into the second half, a free kick from Libby Copus-Brown found its way into the back of the net.

With full time approaching, Remy SIemsen made it 3-1 with a fantastic half volley, blasting the ball home.

Siemsen had her second deep in stoppage time, finishing at the far post to round off the 4-1 win for Tom Hopley’s side.


Football NSW Institute 3-1 NWS Koalas 

The Football NSW Institute moved within one point behind the league leaders with another win for Jaime Gomez’s side, this time against the North West Sydney Koalas.

It was the home side that struck first, as Sarah Hunter blasted home her finish to give the Institute the lead.

How the Institute didn’t score a minute later no one knows but it felt like a scene from FIFA 21.

It took the Koalas less than a minute after the restart to equalise after Rachel Perrins finished after a Rachael Soutar corner.

Charlie Rule continued her good goal scoring run with a classy finish into the top corner with the outside of her foot.

The game was wrapped up in the 70th minute as Cushla Rue headed home to make it 3-1.


Sydney Olympic 4-0 Bankstown City 

At Peter Moore Field Sydney Olympic put four passed a hapless Bankstown City to push themselves just outside the top five.

Neither side could find a goal before the break as they went into the sheds locked at 0-0.

Bankstown’s hard work in the first half was undone after only 35-seconds in the second as Kiara De Domizio scored a bomb from distance.

It was two shortly after as Aimee Phillips snuck in at the back post to add another to her season tally.

Two became three as Mackenzie Hawkesby scored with a well placed driven shot from outside the box.

The fourth came in stoppage time as Aimee Phillips completed her brace with another calm finish.


Northern Tigers 1-1 Blacktown Spartans 

At North Turramurra the Northern Tigers and Blacktown Spartans couldn’t be separated in a 1-1 draw.

It was the home team that took the lead as the inform Aideen Keane put them in front early in the fixture.

The Tigers held the lead moving into the break.

They looked set to hang on to the tight victory but the Spartans struck late to Brad Attard’s delight.

It means the Spartans remain within touching distance of finals football and are well in the battle.