NPL NSW Men's Final Round Review

Sydney Olympic secured the National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s Premiership with a sensational 2-0 defeat of Blacktown City, with Manly United coming so close but not getting the goal difference they needed to get ahead of Olympic.

The final five are now confirmed for finals with some exciting matches providing an interesting platform to head into the finals series.

Sydney Olympic FC 2 – Blacktown City FC 0 at Belmore Sportsground

The script couldn’t have been written any better as a bumper crowd was on hand to witness the final round of the National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s competition as Sydney Olmypic seized the Premiership title with a 2-0 victory over Blacktown City at Belmore Sportground on Sunday evening.

The scenario was relatively simple from the outset; if Blacktown City win they would top the league on the final day and become Premiers for 2022, however should Sydney Olympic win, they were still dependent on the outcome of Manly United v Rockdale Ilinden match, so it was all to play for as the final round of regular season fixtures drew to a close.

Roy O’Donovan was sitting on 19 goals for the season, one behind Alec Urosevski of Rockdale Ilinden, in the race for the Golden Boot and the side plots continued to mount and his brace was enough to secure the title on a tense nerve-wracking day at Belmore.

Manly United FC 3 – Rockdale Ilinden FC 1 at Cromer Park

After an exhilarating 90 minutes at Cromer Park on Sunday afternoon, Manly United FC have fallen devastatingly short of clinching the National Premier Leagues NSW Men’s Premiership after a 3-1 Victory over Rockdale Ilinden FC.

It was all on the line in the final round of action as Manly United welcomed Rockdale Ilinden to Cromer Park.

For the home side, a big win would need to be complimented by a result falling their way at Belmore Sportsground if they were to claim the Premiership.

Similarly for Rockdale, they would require a draw or win and results going their way elsewhere if they were to reach the finals.

As such, we were expecting an explosive contest with both sides going for it,

Thomas Fay, Bruno Mendes and Benjamin Koop all scored for the hosts to give them a 3-0 lead at the end of regular time, as they pushed for a fourth to give them the goal difference to secure the Premiership, but a goal to Vincent Fedele saw Rockdale scrape one goal back and silence Manly’s silverware hopes.

Northbridge Bulls FC 1 – Marconi Stallions FC 3 at Sydney United Sports Centre

The Marconi Stallions secured a spot in next weekend’s do or die elimination final against old foes APIA Leichhardt after defeating the Northbridge Bulls 3-1 at the Sydney United Sports Centre on Sunday.

The energetic Bulls opened scoring in the 14th minute through Stephan De Robillard, but Marconi were quick to respond with Nathan Millgate equalising in the 16th minute.

The Stallions then took the lead in the 68th minute through Brandon Vella and topped it off with a goal to substitute Martin Fernandez in the 2nd minute of injury time.

The win sees Marconi progress through to the finals in fourth position on the ladder, giving them one chance to move forward in the series, while Northbridge’s season has officially come to a close.

APIA Leichhardt FC 1 – Sydney United 58 FC 3 at Lambert Park

Sydney United 58 triumphed over a finals-bound APIA Leichhardt with a 3-1 win at Lambert Park on Sunday afternoon.

APIA Leichhardt got off to the perfect start when Themba Muata-Marlow nodded home in the 15th minute, but were unable to hold their lead as Jordan Roberts equalised with a wonderful strike, before Taisei Kaneko and substitute Christopher Payne completed the scoring.

Despite the loss, APIA Leichhardt did lock down fifth spot and will play finals next week against Marconi Stallions in a repeat of the Italian Derby from Round 21.

For Sydney United 58, it is a good way to end what has been a tough season for the proud club.

Wollongong Wolves FC 3 – Sutherland Sharks FC at WIN Stadium

Wollongong Wolves and Sutherland Sharks were unable to be separated in a 3-3 draw at WIN Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

It was an exhilarating opening half in Wollongong with the home side bursting into a two-goal lead inside the first 10 minutes courtesy of a Banri Kanaizumi brace.

Jeremy Cox scored Sutherland’s first before Chris Lindsay scored from the spot to see the scores level at the break.

Mitch Smith put the Sharks in front early in the second period before Leroy Jennings restored parity for the Wolves later in the half.

Sydney FC forfeited their match against Mt Druitt Town Rangers FC.