NPL weekend wrap: Sydney Olympic extend NSW league lead

National Premier Leagues paused for some federations around the country this weekend as FFA Cup qualifying took the driver's seat.

It was full steam ahead in NSW and Victoria as first place maintained their position, while things are tighter than ever in ACT and the gap at the bottom widens in WA.

Check out all of the long weekend NPL action below.


Canberra FC clung on to top spot despite going down 1-0 to Canberra Olympic on Sunday afternoon.

A Michael John goal in the 23rd minute did the damage and brought Olympic within one point of Canberra FC in first.

Tuggeranong United beat Riverina Rhinos 3-0 to keep up the pressure on top spot – they’re level on points, and behind on goal difference.

Elsewhere there were wins for FFA Cup Round of 32 hopefuls Gungahlin United, and Tigers FC.


It was a low-scoring weekend of football in NPL NSW as Sydney Olympic extended their lead at the top.

A come-from-behind 2-1 win over Manly United ensured Olympic took all three points and stretched the gap to six points.

APIA Leichhardt missed the chance to keep up the pressure on top spot, going down 1-0 to Marconi. They remain second.

The clash between Bonnyrigg White Eagles and Blacktown City was washed out, and Sydney FC did their chances of climbing off the bottom of the ladder no harm with a 1-1 draw with Wollongong Wolves.

Meantime Rockdale City Suns jumped two spots into fifth after a 2-0 over fourth-place Sydney United 58, and Hakoah Sydney City East kept up the pressure on the top five with a 2-0 win over Sutherland.


Hume City slipped into the relegation zone after a 1-all draw with Northcote City on Saturday night.

A James Brown goal in the 51st minute had Hume City thinking they’d done enough to steal all three points, but a 92nd minute Adrian Boglis goal pushed them down into 13th place.

South Melbourne picked up their first win in four matches with a convincing 4-0 victory over Dandenong Thunder, and Melbourne Knights won their second on the trot with a tight 1-0 win over Pascoe Vale.

Kingston City jumped clear of the threat of relegation (for now) with a shock 2-0 win over Avondale, which denied the third-place Avengers the chance to maintain the pressure on top spot.

Top spot Bentleigh Greens opened up a temporary six-point lead at the top with a comprehensive 3-0 win over Oakleigh Cannons, which was cut to three points on Monday night when Heidelberg United edged out Bulleen Lions 1-0.

In the league’s other game, Port Melbourne Sharks won 3-2 in a five-goal thriller with Green Gully on Friday night.


Inglewood United slipped out of the top four after a 1-all draw with third-place Cockburn City on Saturday afternoon. Both goals came in the final twenty minutes, with Inglewood’s David Cyrus scoring in the 82nd to cancel out Cockburn’s 70th-minute effort.

The gap between the top two remains at four points after first-place Bayswater City beat Stirling Lions 3-0, and second-place Perth Glory romped home 5-0 over last-place Joondalup United.

Perth SC jumped into the top four after a 4-0 win over FFA Cup Round of 32 entrants Armadale, and Floreat Athena pulled four points clear of the drop with a 5-1 win over Balcatta.

Subiaco moved out of the relegation zone with a vital 2-0 win over ECU Joondalup, who missed their chance to put the pressure on the top five sides.

In the league’s other match, Forrestfield United beat 13th place Sorrento 2-0.

Header image thanks to Football NSW