National Premier Leagues: weekend results wrap

There were some massive shocks, goals galore and plenty of drama right across the country in the National Premier League’s across the weekend.

Check out the best of the action around Australia below.

  • Lead image courtesy of Football NSW


There’s a new leader in NSW as Sydney Olympic went to the summit after their 3-0 demolition of Sutherland Sharks in the Shire.

A double from Jason Madonis and a screamer for former Newcastle Jet Radivan Pavicevic did the damage for Olympic, who scored all their goals in a dominant second-half.

Olympic leapfrogged APIA Leichhardt, who were beaten 1-0 at Sydney United thanks to Patrick Antelmi’s second-half strike.

Ex-Sydney FC and Perth Glory flyer Mitch Mallia scored a hat-trick as Blacktown City won an eight-goal thriller 5-3 over Rockdale City Suns.

Elsewhere, a late equaliser saw Wollongong Wolves snatch a 1-1 draw with Manly United, Sydney FC and Marconi played out a 2-2 draw, while Hakoah Sydney City East beat Bonnyrigg White Eagles 2-0.


Bayswater City have gone three points clear at the top of the ladder as they brushed aside Forrestfield United 4-0 at Wildlife Safari Stadium.

David Stokoe, Gian Albano, Paul Lloyd and Luke Salmon got on the scoresheet for the defending champions.

At the foot of the table, Joondalup United registered their first win of the campaign at the 12th attempt as they shocked Inglewood United 3-1 at Percy Doyle Reserve.

Goals from Callum Stocks, Sam Wynne and Alex Wild gave the league's bottom club the victory, as they close in on second-bottom Floreat Athena, who lost 2-1 to Subiaco.

Sorrento slumped to their sixth loss in seven games as they went down 2-1 against Armadale, while second-placed Cockburn City conceded twice in the last 10 minutes to lose  2-1 against Perth Glory.

ECU Joondalup beat Perth SC 1-0 and Stirling Lions moved into the top-half following a 3-0 win over Balcatta.


Canberra FC remains the only team with a 100% record in the nation’s capital after a 7-2 demolition of Tigers FC.

Canberra scored five of their goals after the break as Thomas James got a hat-trick, while former Hyundai A-League winger Kofi Danning also got on the scoresheet.

Elsewhere, Monaro slumped to a fourth straight defeat in the league, going down 1-0 at home against Belconnen United.

The Panthers held out for 74 minutes before a stunner from Lucas Mauragis handed United victory at Riverside.

There was plenty of goals in the other two fixtures as Canberra Olympic scored twice in the last three minutes to beat Riverina Rhinos 4-2, while Gungahlin United beat Tuggeranong United by the same score.


The game of the Round in Northern NSW saw a seven-goal thriller at CB Complex, with Valentine Phoenix emerging 4-3 winners of Weston Bears.

While both sides are at the wrong end of the ladder, they produced a memorable contest which saw three goals scored in the last 11 minutes.

While Weston took the lead inside the first minute through Jake Barner, the Phoenix were 3-1 up inside the hour-mark.

Cooper Buswell pulled one back for the Bears with 11 minutes left only for substitute Aaron Nikonyuru to restore Phoenix’s two-goal lead with four minutes left.

Despite conceding again soon after, the home side held on for their first win of the campaign.

Elsewhere, Hamilton Olympic withstood the challenge of Lake Macquarie, winning 4-3 at Darling Street Oval, while Lambton Jaffas beat Newcastle Jets Youth 2-0.

Edgeworth Eagles held on for a 2-1 win over Maitland Magpies and Adamstown Rosebud defeated Charlestown City 3-2.


Bentleigh Greens are the sole leaders in Victoria after their 2-0 win over Kingston City was coupled with Avondale’s draw with Melbourne Knights.

Chris Lucas scored the opener for Bentleigh before Matt Thurtell iced the result when he won – and converted – a penalty.

Avondale had to settle for a 2-2 draw with the Knights in a thriller at Knights Stadium.

Marijan Cvitkovic opened the scoring for the home side, before Kaine Sheppard equalised just before the hour mark with his 10th goal of the campaign.

Sheppard had another nine minutes later but Avondale couldn’t hold on, with Ben Surey scored with a header 12 minutes from time.

Other results saw Oakleigh Cannons beat Dandenong Thunder 2-1, Northcote City and Port Melbourne Sharks drew 1-1 and Heidelberg United edged out Hume City 2-1.

Green Gully were too strong for South Melbourne winning 3-0, while Pascoe Vale edged out Bulleen Lions 3-2.


Launceston City moved back to the top of the NPL Tasmania table with a 3-2 victory in a fiery clash with the Devonport Strikers at Valley Road.

Both sides ended the game with 10-men as City held off a late Strikers surge to claim the win and jump back to the top after six rounds.

Tyler Fischer scored twice as City remained undefeated in season 2018 and stamped themselves as one of the sides to beat.

Elsewhere, Northern Rangers overcame Kingsborough Lions 1-0, Clarence United and Hobart Zebras drew 1-1, while South Hobart beat Olympia Warriors 2-1.