MetroStars edge closer to Premiership

League leaders MetroStars flexed their muscle with a commanding performance in Round 23 of the South Australian NPL.

A devastating ten minute spell in the second half led to MetroStars 5-1 win against Campbelltown City in Round 23 of the South Australia Premier League at Steve Woodcock Sports Centre on Saturday.

Michael Matricciani put the Red Devils ahead at the interval, but a second half MetroStars blitz resulted in four goals and turned the game, before the sealer arrived soon after.

Perry Mitris scored twice, with Adam Van Dommele, Steven Grelli and Matthew Deegan also on target to secure MetroStars 12th successive win and edge them closer to the minor premiership.

MetroStars striker Mitris says they are always looking to improve.

“It was a game of two halves. We were poor in the first and behind at the break, but we then came out firing and showed what we can do,” he said.

“Ivan [Karlovic] told us at half-time to be patient and said he believed we can do it. We then went out there and got the goals.

“I think we can always improve. We know that come finals time teams will be fighting hard for the main prize, so we have to continue going as we are.”

Campbelltown captain Vas Parhas says MetroStars finishing ability was the difference.

“They got four goals from set pieces and that was the game. We matched them with our game plan and looked good after going ahead. But goals change matches,” he said.

“I don’t think the score was a true reflection, nor did things go wrong for us. They were fantastic set pieces and credit to MetroStars for being clinical.

“The window of opportunity to make the six is not as wide as before and it’s not in our hands. However, we will keep fighting. We have three huge games and believe we are good enough to get there.”

The home side opened the scoring when Matricciani went around one defender and slotted his shot into the bottom corner.

Yet MetroStars hit back on the hour mark. Van Dommele made it two goals in as many games, heading past Ben Moore to start the devastating spell.

They had the lead a minute later with a header from Grelli.

Mitris added his name to the scoresheet in the 65th minute, placing a superb free kick beyond the reach of the goalkeeper.

The four-goal salvo was complete four minutes later when Deegan arrowed in a header.

Mitris completed the rout by finishing Fabian Barbiero’s cut-back. It was his 21st goal of the season, putting him clear at the top of the scorers chart.

Full SA NPL Round 23 Wrap