FFA COE dent Canberra FC title hopes

FFA COE have given the National Premier Leagues: Capital Football title race another twist as they humbled Canberra FC in Round 14.

Saturday 26th July
Tuggeranong United 0
Cooma Tigers 3
(Goran Josifovski 8’, Jordan Lando 20’, Stephen Domenici 75’)

Cooma Tigers remained top of the National Premier Leagues: Capital Football competition after a 3-0 win over Tuggeranong United at Kambah.

The Tigers ultimately claimed a convincing victory, but it could have been a very different outcome had Tuggeranong taken the number of chances they created. Daniel Colbertaldo missed a first half penalty for the hosts whilst Sean Murphy, Muad Zwed and substitute Matt Menser, making his 150th Premier League appearance, passed up presentable opportunities.

By contrast Cooma was deadly when they got in behind the United defence with Goran Josifovski getting the leaders off to the perfect start, slamming home his tenth goal of the season with an arrowed finished. And the Tigers were 2-0 up in twenty minutes after Jordan Lando swept home a first time half volley following a superb break down the right flank by the outstanding Iain Elliott.

Tuggeranong then missed their penalty and were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal as Cooma sealed the points fifteen minutes from time. A ball over the top allowed Stephen Domenici to get in on goal and, after he rounded Rowan Forbes Shepherd, he confidently drilled home his tenth of the campaign to seal another win and another step towards the title.


Sunday 27th July
(Peter Kekeris 5’, Jamal Reiners 48’, Nicholas D’Agostino 66’, Daniel Arzani 70’)
Canberra FC 1 (Philippe Bernabo-Madrid 30’)

FFA COE have given the National Premier Leagues: Capital Football title race another twist as they humbled Canberra FC 4-1 at the Australian Institute of Sport to leave the visitors with a huge amount to do if they are to retain their league championship crown.

FC ended the match with only nine players as midfielder Ian Graham and substitute Josip Jadric both saw red for second yellow card offences in the second half. With nine men the visitors, who started with four teenagers in the team, couldn’t get back into the match and face a tricky task against Belconnen next weekend with a depleted squad.

Peter Kekeris had given the FFA COE the lead early on, only for Philippe Bernabo-Madrid, restored to the starting team, to equalise in the 32nd minute. It remained 1-1 at the break but the hosts got off to a flyer in the second half as Jamal Reiners beat Jakob Cole to a long ball to score.

Following the dismissals of Graham and Jadric, FFA COE substitute Nicholas D’Agostino made it 3-1 with a smart finish to leave FC teetering in the ropes. Daniel Arzani landed the knock-out blow with twenty minutes remaining, netting the fourth home goal and leaving FC defeated and five points behind the leaders with time running out.


Woden Valley 2 (Regan Walsh 24’, Liam Walsh 31’)
Canberra Olympic 1 (Oliver Wiederkehr 74’)

Woden Valley scored a stunning upset win over Canberra Olympic, downing the visitors 2-1 in difficult conditions at Kaleen Enclosed.

The hosts did the damage in the first half with two goals in seven minutes that left Olympic with much to do. Despite substitute Oliver Wiederkehr reducing the gap with sixteen minutes to play, Woden held on to record a third win of the season and move up above Monaro Panthers in the ladder into seventh place.

Olympic are now six points off of third but crucially still four ahead of fifth. Woden took the lead in the match with a brilliant goal in the 24th minute. Regan Walsh, so often the inspiration for the Valley side, set his sights from outside the area and cracked a thumping drive high past Angelo Konstantinou and into the top corner for a superb opener.

Olympic, who boast a prolific front line, attempted to equalise immediately but they were left up against it as Woden scored a second in the 31st minute. A neat move culminated in midfielder Liam Walsh applying the finishing touch for his first goal of the season and to give his team a crucial 2-0 lead at the break.

Olympic responded well after the start of the second half and duly got their reward when replacement Wiederkehr pulled a goal back but, try as they might, they could not get the leveller and Woden recorded a well-deserved success.


Belconnen United 4 (Marty Raines 15’, 62’, Jason Ugrinic 56’, Jack Green 64’)
Canberra City 0

Belconnen United kept their championship challenge afloat at the top of the National Premier Leagues: Capital Football ladder after they defeated Canberra City 4-0 at McKellar Park to move within two points of Cooma Tigers with both teams having played twelve matches.

City, as is their wont, defended heartily and threatened on the break with Misko Naumoski and Sam McDonald their best outlets, but Belconnen was always in command of the match from the moment that Marty Raines arrowed a low shot across the face of James Ward in the City goal and into the far corner.

That it took the Blue Devils until the 56th minute to add a second, Jason Ugrinic beating the City offside trap to round Ward and slot home his tenth goal of the season, showed just how competitive the visitors were in the main. That second goal appeared to knock some of the stuffing out of the City team and further goals followed with two coming within the space of 120 seconds. The first saw Dustin Wells pick out the run of Raines with a stunning pass and the forward lofted the ball past Ward for the third.

Two minutes later it was 4-0 as Ugrinic sent over a superb corner that was met by Jack Green who knocked home his first goal of 2014. And that was enough for Belconnen who saw out the remainder without much undue difficulty.


Click here for all of the details from the weekend’s matches.