Comebacks on order in WA

WA’s top competition produced a round of comebacks as several teams defied the odds in an exciting weekend of fixtures.

WA’s top competition produced a round of comebacks as several teams defied the odds in an exciting weekend of fixtures.

Floreat Athena, Balcatta and Stirling Lions all responded from a goal deficit to win their matches, while Cockburn City rallied from two goals down and after Ross Diamond had been sent off to draw with Subiaco at the WA State Athletics Stadium.

Subiaco looked certain to win after going two goals up through Alex Randall and Jordan Rhodes against Cockburn, who had Diamond sent-off for a second yellow card. Despite the disadvantage, Cockburn got one back before half-time through Liam Murray, then drew level in the 67th minute thanks to Eamon McNelis. A dramatic second half brought seven more yellow cards and a thrilling final 10 minutes, with a goal from from Subiaco’s Josh Booysen answered by a second from Murray to end the game 3-3. The result lifted Subiaco off the bottom of the table.

Inglewood United came close to upsetting league leaders Bayswater City in a surprising goalless draw. Inglewood coach Graham Normanton was “delighted” with his team’s dominating performance, despite missing chances in both halves. There was some concern for Normanton, however, when key striker Teeboy Kamara was stretchered off in the 86th minute. Bayswater remain four-points clear at the top of the league.

Sorrento started strongly against Perth SC to secure a 2-0 lead within 41 minutes through Brodie Martin and Chris Reid. Perth were awarded a penalty before half-time but Mark Pritchard sent it wide, missing his chance to reduce the margin. Perth’s Mark Doninger pulled a goal back in the 62nd minute but they could not find an equaliser before the final whistle. The victory brought the Gulls level on points with third-placed Perth, who missed their opportunity to close the gap on leaders Bayswater City.

Armadale took the lead against Balcatta through Danny Richman but lost it just three minutes later to a header from Gustavo Catarcione, who scored again in the 74th minute to take his place as the league’s top scorer and secure his side’s 2-1 victory. Balcatta rose to second place while Armadale dropped to the bottom of the league.

Floreat Athena dominated ECU Joondalup after going behind in the fourth minute to a Danny Dixon goal. Floreat’s Lewis McMahon equalised before half-time and Joondalup collapsed in the second-half, conceding three goals in just twelve minutes to Floreat’s Ludovic Boi, Blair Goven and Andrew Scaldaferro. The 4-1 win lifted Floreat to 6th, above Joondalup on goal difference.

A similar story unfolded when Perth Glory lost a lead gained through Slobodan Vulin’s goal. Stirling Lions striker Daniel Micevski equalised, then scored again to give Stirling the lead before half-time. A stunning second-half with goals from Dean Evans, Hayden Doyle and Rikki Smith secured the Lions’ 5-1 victory.