Clubs pay the penalty in Queensland

Penalties - some taken, some not - played a significant role in Round 10 of PlayStation® 4 NPL Queensland matches on the weekend.

Brisbane City FC  2 (Koh SATAKE 49’, Antonio MURRAY 73‘p)
Western Pride FC  1 (Lincoln RULE  24‘p)

Brisbane City recorded their first competitive win of 2015, fighting from a goal down to overrun Western Pride 2-1 at Corporate Travel Management Stadium on Friday night.

A Lincoln Rule penalty edged Pride ahead midway through the first half, however Koh Satake and Antonio Murray struck in the second stanza to put an end to City’s nine match winless streak in all competitions this year.

Speaking post-match, Pride defender Ajdin Fetahagic lamented his side’s inability to take the initiative in the opening stages.

“In the first half I thought we were a lot stronger than City were but we still couldn’t create the chances that we wanted,” he said.

Full match report and post-match interviews from Football Queensland -


Moreton Bay United FC  4 (Royce BROWNLIE 60’p 80’ 88’p, Joseph CHAMPNESS 83’)
Palm Beach SC  1 (Kristian REES 26’)

Royce Brownlie netted a second half hat-trick to guide Moreton Bay United to a 4-1 come-from-behind win over Palm Beach SC at Wolter Park on Saturday.

Kristian Rees gave Sharks a single goal lead at the break before Brownlie’s haul was complemented by substitute Joseph Champness to extend Jets’ undefeated run to nine matches in all competitions.

Jets coach Adam Piddick said Brownlie’s first goals since March were a result of his work-rate off the ball.

“He actually led by example in that second half and he got the ball rolling by shutting centre backs down and not letting them play out and he got his just reward for that,” he said.

Full match report and post-match interviews from Football Queensland -


Brisbane Roar FC Youth  3 (Nicholas D’Agostino 45+3’, Samuel SIBATUARA 49’, Mitchell HORE 64’
Sunshine Coast FC  1 (Brady CRONK 13’)

Brisbane Roar Youth ended Sunshine Coast FC’s run of four straight wins, prevailing 3-1 at Perry Park on Saturday.

Young Roar’s Nicholas D’Agostino cancelled out Brady Cronks opener for Fire, before Sam Sibatuara and Mitchell Hore secured the points in the second half.

The result lifts Young Roar to seventh in the league with games in hand over their rivals above.

Hore expressed his delight at wearing the captain’s arm band for the first time and guiding his team to a win.

“I’m learning to take more responsibility and the boys played well and got the result - it was a good all round performance,” he said.

Full match report and post-match interviews from Football Queensland -


Brisbane Strikers FC  6 (Trent CLULOW 25’, Greg KING 34’, Jheison MACUACE 63’ 69’, Joshua MCVEY 78’, Scot COULSON 88’)
SWQ Thunder FC  0

Brisbane Strikers extended SWQ Thunder’s winless league record after cruising to a 6-0 win at Perry Park on Saturday in the Lightning Bolt Derby.

Five players etched their names on the scoresheet for the hosts as they dismantled a Thunder side reduced to ten men in the first half following the dismissal of Matthew Hull.

Strikers midfielder Angus said the match was altered by the sending off but it will have his teammates primed for their mid-week Westfield FFA Cup tie against the league leaders Moreton Bay United.

“I don’t think there’s anything better than a game a few days before hand and I think it was ideal considering the goals that we scored,” he said.

Full match report and post-match interviews from Football Queensland -


FNQ FC Heat  2 (Josh JENNISON 45’, Alex SMITH 47’)
Redlands United FC  3 (Igor SAO JOSE 16’, Lyndon DYKES 59’, Graham FYFE 82’)

Redlands United came from a goal down in the second half to edge out FNQ Heat 3-2 in a see-sawing encounter at Barlow Park in Cairns on Saturday.

The visitors took the lead early through Igor Sao Jose before finding themselves a goal down following goals from Heat pair Josh Jennison and Alex Smith.

However, the Red Devils finished strongly with goals to Lyndon Dykes and Graham Fyfe to record their third straight win in all competitions.

Redlands captain James Donnelly suggested that following a slow start to the season momentum was building for the bayside club.

“I think our lads have had character building all season through the tough times and it’s coming through now and we’re getting on to a bit of a roll here,” he said.

Full match report and post-match interviews from Football Queensland -


Olympic FC 3 (Danny BYRNE 48p’ 51’p, Michael LEE 90’)
Northern Fury FC 0

Danny Byrne scored twice from the spot to help Olympic FC to an action-packed 3-0 win over Northern Fury at Goodwin Park on Sunday.

Byrne could have had a hat-trick of penalties while the visitors missed one of their own as Olympic rose to third spot.

Olympic goalkeeper Matt Acton said he was pleased to move on from consecutive league and cup defeats.

“I think it’s pretty rare for this club to lose two on the trot so the boys were pretty determined going into the game not to let it slip again,” the shot-stopper said.

Full match report and post-match interviews from Football Queensland -


For more news from Football Queensland visit